Thread: Deleted one partition, four were gone! Please help, please! Urgent!

Beans

Deleted one partition, four were gone! Please help, please! Urgent!

I'm going insane.

The story from beginning:

I had two hard drives in one computer. Had windows xp running. First drive has two partitions(C(Containing Windows) & D), second had four(E,F,G,H). I installed ubuntu on the second partition of the second drive(F: 58GB). It made the F drive into three partitions. One detectable by windows (F:16GB) & other two undetectable which I think were of ubuntu(They had sizes of 41Gb & 500Mb). First I got no option while booting to select which OS. So I installed GRUB. After that I had my second drive removed, and windows stopped starting. So I had my C drive formatted and installed Xp again.

Now I put back my second drive again and wanted to remove ubuntu. I had no data in that partition. I read somewhere how to delete a partition, and deleted the 500Mb partition using the windows disk management just to test. And then the terrible thing happened. The two drives of ubuntu and the drives G & H were gone. It was showing that I had 158Gb of free space. I was shocked. My heart is racing! Because the drive G had all my dad's important data & if he comes to know its gone then i'm dead. I then went to options to create new drive in the hope that it will have all the data. There was an option to format the drive which i did'nt select. After finishing the setup i got no another drive showing up.

Can I recover the data back?

Please anyone help as soon as possible. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by shubham822; April 9th, 2013 at 04:29 AM.

Beans

Re: Deleted one partition, four were gone! Please help, please! Urgent!

Beans

Can you please tell me how to go about it?
    Please.

Thanks for help

Beans

For starters, do not use that computer any more. You can add to the problem by accessing it.

Use another machine to create a live cd

Then just boot the cd in the problem machine. With me, it was automatic after that. It found the partition I deleted and was able to restore it.

Hope its that easy for you.

Beans

I'll try it. Thanks a lot!

Beans

Hey, I tried some data recovery softwares and easeus worked like a charm! It was very simple. Just got saved. But the thing i still did'nt understand is that why in the first place were four partitions deleted when i deleted only one! Anyways, thanks!

Beans

Sorry, but don't have a clue what went wrong. Glad you got it back though

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Yup buddy, marked it as solved. Thanks for the support. I actually didn't expect such a quick response.