Beans

my first experience with W-8

yuk : it's a mess !!

i have no idea why anyone would want one

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: my first experience with W-8

It came preinstalled on my new laptop. I played with it with for a few weeks. I imagine it would be great on a tablet, but I hated using it with a keyboard and mouse - and it's not like I hate all the new DE UI's out there. I'm perfectly comfortable using Unity or the Gnome Shell (although they both have their flaws), but I never got used to W8 on my laptop, so instead of shrinking the partition to dual boot with Linux like I usually do I just wiped the drive entirely and installed Windows 7 Ultimate with Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had very limited exposure to Windows 8 but if I had to use it, I think step 1 would be to install classic shell or another desktop replacement. I use gnome shell as a default desktop and get along okay with Unity and Cinnamon but Windows 8? Not if I have a choice in the matter.

Beans

I actually like the interface-formerly-known-as-metro. However, I was trying it out in a shop and since that particular computer was offline it showed up the fact that it's all basically just web apps, which are useless offline. Then when I went on to the desktop setting I was simply bored. When you single-boot Linux and go back to Windows, you realise it's nothing special.