Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iso image directly on laptop harddrive.

Beans

Iso image directly on laptop harddrive.

Greetings,

Anyone knows if its possible for me to just copy everything from a Ubuntu ISO image to a laptop harddrive so that he computer will start up the harddrive with the so called "cd"? The laptop I have is locked down by the damned TPM chip and it seems I cant get into BIOS as long as the TPM chip is active. Have no clue if I can just take out the chip but I will continue to search

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Iso image directly on laptop harddrive.

If you cannot control the boot media used, then I don't see how you can alter which OS gets booted.
    However, you might be able to load VirtualBox and boot a virtual machine as a liveCD from the ISO. This does require a "more capable laptop", so anything with a Core2Duo CPU or better AND 2G of RAM should be able to get acceptable performance for an Ubuntu virtual machine - provided you do not run Unity.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't understand. Please describe with more details to make it easier to help.

- How the computer works now (how it can boot, and how it cannot boot)
    - What you want to do and why

Beans

Well what I am trying to do really is install an OS to it, so I though Ubuntu might work since I got it on another laptop.

The laptop is a HP ProBook 4330s which seems to been owned by a school before the client of mine bought it from the school, but after he somehow managed to remove or delete the previous OS on it he now cannot boot it since the BIOS is locked and cannot be unlocked because of the TPM chip. And if I can get a OS to run I can reset the TPM with some software I belive from what I have read on other websites.

Now the only bootable devices I am able to selct from are the Harddrive and Ethernet.

Since I can connect the harddrive to a docking station I can copy everything over. So thats why I wonder if I can just copy everything over from the ubuntu cd / ISO?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need to contact HP, and follow the instructions below
    http://breakstuffmajorly.blogspot.ca...ook-6560b.html
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff || SandyDNET
    Twitter: @CatchesAStar | Last.fm
    Ubuntu Membership via Forum Contributions

Beans

You could dock the drive in other puter install Ubuntu on it and put it back in to the problem laptop when done (could be done in a VM*aswell)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LawaBoy View Post
    Well what I am trying to do really is install an OS to it, so I though Ubuntu might work since I got it on another laptop.

The laptop is a HP ProBook 4330s which seems to been owned by a school before the client of mine bought it from the school, but after he somehow managed to remove or delete the previous OS on it he now cannot boot it since the BIOS is locked and cannot be unlocked because of the TPM chip. And if I can get a OS to run I can reset the TPM with some software I belive from what I have read on other websites.

Now the only bootable devices I am able to selct from are the Harddrive and Ethernet.

Since I can connect the harddrive to a docking station I can copy everything over. So thats why I wonder if I can just copy everything over from the ubuntu cd / ISO?
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    You need to contact HP, and follow the instructions below
    http://breakstuffmajorly.blogspot.ca...ook-6560b.html
    +1
    If that helpful guy is answering when you call , the problem will be solved.
    --
    A friend of mine had a similar story with a Toshiba laptop. It was never solved, so that computer turned into spare parts. (It was too expensive to get it unlocked/repaired, and nothing useful was found on the internet).
    --
    If the computer will boot from an internal drive in general, you will solve the problem with Ubuntu desktop, because it is portable if you don't install any proprietary drivers. So you can connect the HDD to another computer via eSATA, USB or open up a desktop computer and connect directly via SATA. Then install Ubuntu to that HDD as if it were a normal internal drive. Be sure to install grub to the head of that HDD and not to any other drive and not to any partition. And you can test it after installation, that it runs on that other computer (but do not accept any offer to install a proprietary graphics driver).

But I'm afraid that the TPM chip might be smart enough to feel that the OS has changed and deny access.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 17th, 2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: don't install any proprietary drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

...if I can get a OS to run I can reset the TPM with some software I belive from what I have read on other websites.

FWIW, Slax live cd can work as a PXE server, so you can run it in that mode (just select the 'PXE' option in the boot menu) on another computer, connect it to the laptop using a cross cable and boot the laptop from ethernet. Within a couple of minutes you should have Slax GUI running on it. Try whatever you wish to from there.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Greetings all

I downloaded Ubuntu and installed it directly on the laptops harddrive via my other computer using the windows installer for it, placed it back into the laptop and tada it works. Now to get TPM-tools to work thanks for all help so far loves and kisses for all who wants..
    Last edited by LawaBoy; March 17th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Greetings all

I downloaded Ubuntu and installed it directly on the laptops harddrive via my other computer using the windows installer for it, placed it back into the laptop and tada it works. Now to get TPM-tools to work thanks for all help so far loves and kisses for all who wants..
    Congratulations

What you mean by windows installer? Did you clone the iso to the HDD? Or did you make a normal installation of Ubuntu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast