Thread: Flash Videos Will Not Work......

Beans

Question Flash Videos Will Not Work......

I'm a semi new user of linux, and i have no clue about half the things in this system but im not new to computers. I first installed linux mint onto my uncles newer hp desktop and everything worked great until the cpu fried on me. So i took the hard drive and put it in my older compaq from 2004. everything worked but the flash so i figued it was just set for the newer pc. i reinstalled but still had the same issue, so i resorted back to ubuntu because im more familliar with it but again the same problem & i can't figure it out. everything is up to date, i even tried adding random flash plugins to see if any might work but still nothing but a white screen unless i scroll down the it shows a black box. saved flash videos work and so do other various video formats but not through firefox or chrome..... any help would be amazing and appreciated.

Beans

Re: Flash Videos Will Not Work......

Hi and Welcome to the forum

Run this from the terminal:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

This will install the flash for you

Beans

it doesnt work, it says it can't lock the directory..... i went back & installed the third party software as well & still nothing. my flash says its up to date & everything looks fine my browsers just wont play them. & thanks for the welcome i recently installed ubuntu with the same usb boot disk i made on my little sisters laptop & it works better than my desktop. i even put netflix on it but it runs slow. her flash is fast & effective so i dont understand why my isnt working, the only difference is i installed the third party software durning the installation. id just reinstall 7 see if that works but im using a wifi adapter for my pc that i doesnt reconize during the installation process.

Beans

Sweetpe,

I am totally new to Linux too so don't feel bad. I had your same problem with Lubuntu 12.10 on an old HP Pavilion zv5000. From what I understand Flash in no longer supported by Adobe for Linux, but you can find it in Google Chrome pre-installed. I used this guide to fix my problem: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/10/...antal-quetzal/.

Then I made Chrome my default browser. (I wasn't too excited about that, but that's okay)

I hope it helps and good luck. If you still have problems let me know and I will walk you through the steps I did.

Beans

flash should work right out the box with ubuntu, it has done so since 12.04 (possibly earlier, i went from 10.10 to 12.10 then 12.04)

if it cant lock directory that usually means that you have synaptic package manager installed, close the package manager and run the command again.

Beans

I'll try the the command again after i turn that off. i already have google chrome installed so idk why it wouldn't be working still. thanks alot though guys i appreciate the help

Beans

idk how to shut the program off, i dont see "synaptic package manager" anywhere.....