Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good games from Ubuntu Software Center

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good games from Ubuntu Software Center

Hi, I would like to play some FREE games and I think, the easiest way is Ubuntu Software Center.
    So are there any games? (except Battle for Wesnoth, AssaultCube, Glest, Tux Racer, Xmoto and Sauerbraten)

NOTE1: I don't mind link for game that is not in ubuntu software center, but keep on mind, that I have Xubuntu, which can run mostly .deb packages
    NOTE2: Please don't send me links for website with tons of games, I'm asking for personal opinion..
    NOTE3: Those games listed in brackets are just awesome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Good games from Ubuntu Software Center

Here's a snazzy 3D horror game that's FREE, but it's not in the USC.
    One Late Night: Link1 Link2

I've played it in Ubuntu 12.10, so it should work just fine in Xubuntu. It scares the bejabbers out of me!
    I even have a video where I play it a bit, if you're interested in seeing it in action
    Youtube link

There's also Matter, a 3D first-person puzzle solving game. It's an executable, so you right click it -> Properties -> Permissions -> Tick allow executing. Double click it to run it.
    Matter: Link Link2

I've played it and recorded it as well
    Youtube Link

There's also BattleMass, which only recently became free to play. Not my cup of tea, but you can play against others online. It's a 3D turn-based strategy game.
    BattleMass: Link
    Last edited by myromance123; March 16th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

OH GOD!!
    Thank you myromance123.. I have googled some linux games, but none of them were so nice as one late night and matter.. how is it even possible that is is so hidden on the internet and I have to ask at forum?

Beans
    Distro

Could you please help me with Matter?
    I have downloaded archive tar.gz and extracted it and ran matter file (like a program) but nothing happened..

Beans
    Distro

Glad you like the games

Alright, have you made sure to set it's permissions?

You need to right click it and go to Properties. Then go to the Permissions tab, and Tick "Allow executing file as a program".

I'm not sure how much the wording might differ, but that should be the gist of it. Now double click it and it should run.

If it doesn't, we can always test it via Terminal. Open any Terminal, and type in this:
    Code:
    ./
    Now just drag the executable into there, and hit Enter. Let me know what the errors might be. Also, would you kindly let me know what your graphics card is and maybe what driver you are using?

EDIT:
    I apologize, I forgot that Matter needs to be run through the terminal. Why this is the case, I am unsure. It probably has to do with Ogre3D.

So, I'll run you through the basic steps.

1. Open a Terminal.
    2. CD to the folder of Matter. E.g:
    Code:
    cd '/home/ismail/Desktop/Matter_Linux'
    3. Run the game using ./ E.g:
    Code:
    ./matter
    Instead of typing the entire CD command, just type CD and then drag the Matter folder into the Terminal. It will automatically give you the folder directory in text like the above example.

I hope this helps a bit
    Last edited by myromance123; March 16th, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I have allowed that and running it from Terminal does not seems to work as well

Beans
    Distro

That's very peculiar. Just to get the basics out of the way, what graphics card and drivers are you using?

It doesn't return any errors in the Terminal either?

Beans

My favorite game from the software center is Freeciv.

Most of the games available through the Chrome webstore run just fine on Ubuntu, so you may find that a good source of free games.

Beans
    Distro

I have integrated graphic processor in intel pentium P987 1.5GHz.. (I have netbook)
    Result of ./matter
    Code:
    /home/vilem/Downloads/Matter_Linux/data/bin/64/matter: error while loading shared libraries: libmng.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Last edited by ViliX64; March 16th, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ViliX64 View Post
    I have integrated graphic processor in intel pentium P987 1.5GHz.. (I have netbook)
    I'm sorry to say, you might not be able to get the games working :/
    I have a netbook with an Intel GMA945, and I can't play these games on it. Hopefully in the future we will be able to but the drivers aren't up to par just yet. The upcoming 13.04 releases hopefully will give us better drivers, but we'll have to wait a while. I'm sorry man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast