Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unity 7 is tentatively pegged to arrive on March 25th.

Beans

Re: Unity 7 is tentatively pegged to arrive on March 25th.

I don't want to threadjack this, but I will point out for anyone who wants to watch things progress, you can participate in the call for testing that went live today on Unity 7 and smart scopes. Things are still coming together, and we could use some good testing eyes to make sure everything that is broken is noted and fixed. Check out my post here for the details; http://www.theorangenotebook.com/201...and-smart.html.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks guitara, its nice to see you here again

Beans

Fail to see how whatever small amount of info is passed to some Canonical server is going to directly affect me personally.
    If there are any actual significant security flaws I'm sure they'll be discovered & addressed.

If you all thought Ubuntu was going to be a never ending community driven lovefest for linux enthusiasts then wake up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Anybody that has security concerns, may want to read Michael's complete blog post, including the comments section.

Check it out here.
    Security != Privacy

If you all thought Ubuntu was going to be a never ending community driven lovefest for linux enthusiasts then wake up.
    It depends ATM i guess different revenue streams models are explored and this is one way and in the future who knows this could work out or something else could work better. We will just have to wait and see. If something else would bring much more revenue in the future i do believe it would do no harm if Ubuntu would position itself as the privacy advocate again but ATM it is as it is and user still has control and that is what is important in the end.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 19th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    What does having online search results have to do with Ubuntu being a "never ending community driven lovefest for linux enthusiasts"? I don't think that's what anybody is concerned about. I want Ubuntu to become a mainstream desktop OS, and I want it to become even more accessible to anyone. I just disagree heavily with any privacy issues being included by default given Ubuntu's target audience. Is that really so crazy or tinfoil hat worthy?

Edit for an example as to why I feel it is a bad idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_search_data_leak

"AOL themselves did not identify users in the report, however; personally identifiable information was present in many of the queries, and as the queries were attributed by AOL to particular user accounts, identified numerically, an individual could be identified and matched to their account and search history by such information.[1] The New York Times was able to locate an individual from the released and anonymized search records by cross referencing them with phonebook listings.[2] Consequently, the ethical implications of using this data for research are under debate."
    Last edited by kaldor; March 19th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    About Unity 7 is this the last Unity based on Compiz and Unity 8 will be Qt/QML based or not?
    I am interested too??? but i guess it may be.
    tox.im - Future open source Skype alternative.
    n2n VPN - Hamachi alternative for Linux, Win, Mac
    System Imaging - Remastersys fork

Beans

Yes looking at the planed roadmap:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnityNextSpec

April next year should bring Unity Next + Mir on all platforms. If this schedule will be pursued then all efforts beyond Unity 7 should be put in achieving this goal because this is pretty big goal and tight schedule indeed! But things (on desktop) could change and we will just have to wait and see but i do hope something half finished won't be pushed to the desktop because currently Unity at least on modern GPU accelerated desktop PC works OK. Unity Next on desktop should probably be pushed when it works better compared to what we have now and because Compiz will be ditched and i like Compiz i expect Unity Next to be low on CPU/GPU consumption and to work smooth as silk and not to lack in to many areas compared to Compiz default experience in Unity Now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hope too because people who has middle class computer and current Unity is slow and jumpy, i really hope new Unity will run better on CPU mode.
    tox.im - Future open source Skype alternative.
    n2n VPN - Hamachi alternative for Linux, Win, Mac
    System Imaging - Remastersys fork

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post
    I don't want to threadjack this, but I will point out for anyone who wants to watch things progress, you can participate in the call for testing that went live today on Unity 7 and smart scopes. Things are still coming together, and we could use some good testing eyes to make sure everything that is broken is noted and fixed. Check out my post here for the details; http://www.theorangenotebook.com/201...and-smart.html.
    Atm unity7/smartscopes is dysfunctional to the extent that don't see any reason to run individual tests. The whole deal is well, currently awful.
    It's going to have to get a bit 'smarter' to make up for the total lack of intuitive use, or maybe link users to something like here
    http://lifehacker.com/5899379/what-b...for-your-brain

Beans
    Distro

At lot of work is being done to reduce power consumption and memory usage in the Ubuntu mobile platform (mobile devices). Those improvements will filter down into the Ubuntu desktop platform. I am already seeing a 10% drop memory usage in Raring when compared to Quantal.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123