Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Items cannot be installed or removed until the package catalog is repaired

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Items cannot be installed or removed until the package catalog is repaired

At the grub> prompt try
    Code:
    ls (hd0,sda8)/boot
    It should show something like
    Code:
    config-3.2.0-35-generic config-3.2.0-38-generic grub initrd.img-3.2.0-35-generic initrd.img-3.2.0-38-generic
    grub System.map-3.2.0-35-generic System.map-3.2.0-38-generic vmlinuz-3.2.0-35-generic vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic
    Have you got an Ubuntu Live medium (LiveCD/LiveUSB)? You will need one with Boot-Repair (community/Boot-Repair).
    Last edited by schragge; March 17th, 2013 at 03:39 AM.

Beans

when ever i reboot i see a black screen at the top of which i see this written "GNU GRUB Version 1.99-21ubuntu3.9"
    and then i have three option with the first two being memory test and the third one with Windows vista and at the bottom i see the option to press e for escape and C for command prompt and so on. When i press C the screen turns into Command prompt with something like this
    grub>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    At the grub> prompt try
    Code:
    ls (hd0,sda8)/boot
    Code:
    config-3.2.0-35-generic config-3.2.0-38-generic grub initrd.img-3.2.0-35-generic initrd.img-3.2.0-38-generic
    grub System.map-3.2.0-35-generic System.map-3.2.0-38-generic vmlinuz-3.2.0-35-generic vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic
    Have you got an Ubuntu Live medium (LiveCD/LiveUSB)? You will need one with Boot-Repair (community/Boot-Repair).
    i do have a cd but it is version 11.0 and very old

Beans
    Hidden!

The link in my previous post was wrong. I've fixed it. Please read that page. Do you have a spare USB stick? In Windows, download UnetBootin. Insert the USB stick, launch UnetBootin and select Distribution: Ubuntu, 12.04_Live. This will create a bootable pendrive.
    Last edited by schragge; March 17th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.

Beans

At the grub> prompt try
    Code:
    ls (hd0,sda8)/boot
    Code:
    HI,
    I have tried

ls (hd0,sda8)/boot
    and it said no such partition. I am downloading the boot repair files u pointed me to. Can you please tell me the steps which i should follow once i get the bootrepair ready.
    thanks,
    Iltesham Z Syed

Beans

The link in my previous post was wrong. I've fixed it. Please read that page. Do you have a spare USB stick? In Windows, download UnetBootin. Insert the USB stick, launch UnetBootin and select Distribution: Ubuntu, 12.04_Live. This will create a bootable pendrive.
    Hi schragge,
    I finally got the reboot back. I followed the links you provided and it repaired the boot. Thank you so very much for everything. I really appreciate your help. I will always be thankful to you for this.
    Good night.

Beans
    Hidden!

Glad you got it back. I feel awfully sorry, it was my fault. The purge command I suggested erased all kernels on your system including the latest.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789