Thread: Handbrake wants to remove K3b VLC dvdauthor. Why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Handbrake wants to remove K3b VLC dvdauthor. Why?

Using Ubuntu 12.10
    I added the ppa for handbrake from here: https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+arc...brake-releases
    Using synaptic I was alarmed to see that installing handbrake would remove a whole bunch of programs.
    I'm sure that I have installed it before with no problems, any ideas what is going on?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Handbrake wants to remove K3b VLC dvdauthor. Why?

Not sure yet what the issue is (assuming you have a 64 bit install), here it does want to remove a whole bunch in synaptic.
    (bit different then you but I've other things installed

So for a 64 bit install synaptic only shows the :i386 packages when searched directly.
    If you were to click on "Architecture" > arch:amd64 , then find handbrake* you'd come across the proper amd64 packages that install as expected. (see screen), you have to scroll down when in a particular arch, bit of a pita

Or try from command line as a sim - should work fine
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -s install handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli
    If ok then remove the -s from command

Not sure whether this is some issue in synaptic or the ppa of handbrake

Edit:
    software-center does show all 4 (:i386 & amd64), screen 2, but what's curious is the :i386 are at the top & shown as the "(default)" ?? - screen 3
    Last edited by mc4man; March 16th, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Handbrake wants to remove K3b VLC dvdauthor. Why?

Not sure whether this is some issue in synaptic or the ppa of handbrake

Edit:
    software-center does show all 4 (:i386 & amd64), screen 2, but what's curious is the :i386 are at the top & shown as the "(default)" ?? - screen 3
    Yes this is 12.10 64bit

Strange, Synaptic showed no results when I tried Arch64.
    The Software Centre showed no results with the "All Software" default, but did show four when I selected ""Handbrake Releases". (the drop down from the "All Software" button) That must be a bug!

The two reviews said that this version was broken and to add the ppa. That is some crazy vicious loop

All I'm trying to do is convert some .FLV files to play on a Sony Playstation.
    ffmpeg conversion failed with the audio.
    Arista Transcoder wants to take hours so I thought of giving Handbrake a go.
    I'm going to the pub
    I'll buy you a pint...