Thread: After upgrading to 12.10 my Home file desappear!!!

Beans

After upgrading to 12.10 my Home file desappear!!!

Yesterday I did upgrade to 12.10 and everyting was working like a dream.

But this morning after starting the PC the Launch bar is not the same at all. Among other things, the "Home" has disappeared and I can no get all My Documents. Well... I can get them from the back up external HD that I do every Friday, so I can put them back but, Where if I can not open Home?

How to get back "Home"?

Kind regards.

Tino
    Last edited by viriatovigo; March 16th, 2013 at 01:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: After upgrading to 12.10 my Home file desappear!!!

What about going thru your filesystem?

home.png

Beans

Ta ibjsb4

In 12.04 was an icon in the Launcher with a link to the filesystem but is one of the things that have disappeared.

Now I have not a clue how to get it. How can I get filesystem?

In the nother hand, with 12.04 Home was in the Launcher, Why is not in 12.10? So, you are telling me that every time that I want to open My Documentes -that I put in Documents- I need to go all the way round through the file system? C'mon!!!

First the problem of that can not be played encrypted DVDs in Linux for obvious legal reasons and now, when upgraded to a new version, is a mountain of problems -for what I can read in other posts of the Forum-; right... How can I put back 12.04?

It is happening to me the same than with Red Hat and in the end I gave up. I am starting to believe that I should stick to Apple Mountain Lion... I am not up to the Linux requiered intelligence level, I am afraid.. .

Kind regards.

Tino

Beans
    Hidden!

In the nother hand, with 12.04 Home was in the Launcher, Why is not in 12.10? So, you are telling me that every time that I want to open My Documentes -that I put in Documents- I need to go all the way round through the file system? C'mon!!!
    I read it wrong, your thread title indicates you lost your home folder and is why I responded. I do not run Unity and you will need to wait for someone else to respond that runs/knows this desktop.
    Good luck
    Last edited by ibjsb4; March 16th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In 12.10 the command to reset unity is
    Code:
    setsid unity
    If that does not work hit the top icon in the launcher and type "files", click on the icon that comes up.
    then go to the launcher and right click on the files icon, select "lock to launcher", then you can move the icon back to where it is supposed to be under the white icon at the top of the launcher.

You are plenty smart enough, it just takes some time to get used to things in a new OS,
    Hang In There!
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Ta arpanaut.

Problem resolved in my way, the "Sicilian" way: Dead the dog end of the rabies ( I am not Italian, by the way).

I've got fed up, I did put the Ubuntu 12.04.1 CD back in the drive, I did restart the PC, I did choice in the BIOS menu to boot from the CD drive, when Ubuntu gave me a choice of Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu I did choice Install, then did aske me if I wanted to install it by 12.10 side or delete 12.10 and install 12.04, I did choice to delete 12.10, it did delete 12.10 and did install 12.04 and all is back as it was before, including the Launcher with the Home folder on it, and working againg like a dream. End of the issue without endless prompts in the terminal.

Of course, I had a HD image in an external HD that I use to renew every Friday and restore the image plus my Business Briefcase and Private Briefcase that I back up every day in an USB memory stick so I didn't lose anything at all.

Never ever again I will upgrade anything that Linux would offer me, n-o w-a-y... It seems that Linux is following the steps of Microsoft and Apple and evvery new version it is only a huge amount of problems for what I can read in other parts of this Forum.

Thank you to every one.

All the best.

Tino
    Last edited by viriatovigo; March 17th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.