Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Ubuntu as secondary OS

Beans

Install Ubuntu as secondary OS

Hello there.

I've been an ubuntu user for a while on media systems. However, i'd li ke to use it in dual boot now too (the platform has matured a lot lately and I think it's time to start doing it). However, how can I install Ubuntu without having Grub boot into Ubuntu on startup? I want to start Windows automatically within x seconds (When installing Ubuntu with standard settings, Grub automatically puts Ubuntu on top of the list).

Basically my question is how can I install ubuntu as an optional secondary OS while still being able to boot in to Windows automatically?

Beans

Re: Install Ubuntu as secondary OS

One way to do that is to install it like usual and then install Grub-Customizer and set it to boot into Windows by default. You can also set a timer using the same app.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

And what would be the usual way of installing it as to make sure my Windows files are untouched ? And is it an ubuntu app or a windows app ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am assuming that you only have one HDD on your machine. When you install Ubuntu you have to install Grub, otherwise you cant boot into Ubuntu. And when Grub is installed it WILL overwrite Windows Boot Loader. (AFAIK Windows Boot Loader does not recoginize Linux OS and will not boot it, on the other hand Grub will flawlessly boot Windows).

Now to answer your original question:
    Quote Originally Posted by jammedubu
    ...how can I install ubuntu as an optional secondary OS while still being able to boot in to Windows automatically?
    Grub, by default, will boot Ubuntu. However, you can easily change your default OS to boot. To do this you have to edit /etc/default/grub and change the default OS.

After Installing Ubuntu do this from Ubuntu - Terminal:

Code:
    $ gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    ... and edit the line GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT=x (where "x" is the Windows' Grub menu entry Number. It will most likely be 2 or 3). You can change and verify what entry is selected at Grub-Menu by default and adjust accordingly.

After you have edited, save the file and close gedit. Then from Terminal:

Code:
    $ sudo update-grub
    If editing the file is difficult for you then install and use Grub Customizer as suggested in the earlier post. However, personally, I would discourage you to do so.

For more info on Dual-Booting Read Here.

I hope I was clear.
    Last edited by fantab; March 16th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    I am assuming that you only have one HDD on your machine. When you install Ubuntu you have to install Grub, otherwise you cant boot into Ubuntu. And when Grub is installed it WILL overwrite Windows Boot Loader. (AFAIK Windows Boot Loader does not recoginize Linux OS and will not boot it, on the other hand Grub will flawlessly boot Windows).

Now to answer your original question:

Grub, by default, will boot Ubuntu. However, you can easily change your default OS to boot. To do this you have to edit /etc/default/grub and change the default OS.

After Installing Ubuntu do this from Ubuntu - Terminal:

Code:
    $ gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    ... and edit the line GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT=x (where "x" is the Windows' Grub menu entry Number. It will most likely be 2 or 3). You can change and verify what entry is selected at Grub-Menu by default and adjust accordingly.

After you have edited, save the file and close gedit. Then from Terminal:

Code:
    $ sudo update-grub
    If editing the file is difficult for you then install and use Grub Customizer as suggested in the earlier post. However, personally, I would discourage you to do so.

For more info on Dual-Booting Read Here.

I hope I was clear.
    You are a true hero. To install Ubuntu next to Windows I just create a new partition with a swap and linux file system which I create during installation?

Edit: I see it's in the last link. Thanks !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is plenty of information available on dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on www. Just google for it and read until you are satisfied.

Good Luck....
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi there.
    Please do not shrink your Windows partition with anything other than the Windows disk management tool.
    You risk ruining your Windows installation by doing so.

Personally, I'd also defrag Windows a time or two before proceeding. I also suggest making backups of anything important to be on the safe side.
    Good luck - it'll be fine

Beans

The way I approached dual booting. I didn't want the mbr touched at all. So made sure during the install that the grub installed where / root is. In my case sda5 was root / so had the installer install grub there also. Then using free program EasyBCD on my windows 7 just add the linux to my mbr menu on startup. Adjust time to 3 seconds for booting and assign default OS on boot.

Know as chain loading you end up with two boot menus during the process and that is fine with me.
    I prefer this method as if my grub gets trashed still have a bootable machine.

Beans

And how did you do that ?

Beans

LiveCD choose Install during install dialog where to install choose something else.
    Select your unused partitions for / and make a swap partiton.
    At bottom shows where to install grub default is always first partition sda1.
    Change it to match root partition.

Boot up into windows and find download program easyBCD install it and run it and add linux grub to the entry and save.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast