Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 & Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS

Beans

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 & Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS

Greetings all,

Can anybody help with getting a M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 to work in Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS?

My home studio consists of

- an IBM desktop:Intel ® Core (TM) i 5-3470 CPU @ 3.20 GHz 3.20GHz; RAM 4Gb; 500 Gb HDD; 64 bit;
    - a Realtek soundcard;
    - UbuntuDreamStudio 12.04 as my main platform (with Audacity as sequencer of preference);
    - a vintage TascamPorta 2 four-track analogue recorder;
    - a GEM (piano)keyboard, small, with MIDI IN and MIDI OUT buses;
    - M-AudioKeystation Pro 88: has been purchased second-hand, so original disk and drivers were not included.

Normally ,the Tascam Porta 2 four-tracker is my first port of call – in order to put in a provisional click track and guiding chords (usually with the GEM). These will then be transferred to Audacity and further tracks are added there.

I'm using electric (flat-body) versions of traditional instruments – banjo, guitar,uke, amongst others – with the Tascam Porta 2 four-tracker doubling as amp here. However, I'd very much like to expand my instrumental palette; and it is with this in mind that I purchased the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88.

I'm hoping to use it as a tool for accessing MIDI musical instrument banks 0 – 127 as integrated in the Realtek soundcard of the IBM desktop computer. The musical instrument sounds generated from there could then be led to the Tascam four-tracker and/or Audacity, I imagine, for further processing. This would be the easiest method – and the one most comfortable for me.

In other words: I'd need to program the Keystation Pro 88, in some way or other, in order to create a connection with those MIDI banks 0-127 as incorporated in the Realtek sound card of my computer. But rather than continuing in MIDI – and all the unwanted complications thereof – I just wish, plain and simple, to capture musical instrument sound, coming from Realtek MIDI banks 0-127, on the Tascam or in Audacity. Thus, my preferred routing would be: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 àRealtek sound card on IBM desktop à audio line-out from IBM to Tascam four-tracker/to Audacity on spare deskop.

Is this feasible? And if yes, how? Besides, I’m also wondering if Jackctl has any role to play in this setup.

tnob
    Last edited by tnob; March 16th, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: The text, as submitted, was incomprehensible in the original form.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 & Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS

JACK could help for feeding both Audacity and TascamPorta 2.

You should check if MIDI bank of Realtek is supported by ALSA driver. I doubt. I have onboard Realtek, and it is not shown as MIDI device, like Audigy2 is where you can load GM sounds in it.

But, you can use software as GM bank. Mybe the easyest way is to use Qsynth (frontend of fluidsynth), it comes with sf2 GM bank (FluidR3_GM.sf2). Or you can load any other sf2 GM bank you can find.

You can use Qjackctl to connect ALSA MIDI ports or patchage.
    Last edited by jejeman; March 16th, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Hi. I'm not sure I have properly understood what you are going to do... I have a keystation 88es and it works just out of the box with linux. If you are going to plug the usb cable into your computer then you will not encounter any issue. So, it seems to me that you would like to use your soundcard as a sound module, playing with the keyboard the built-in sound banks. Can you repost your soundcard model?

Beans

Hi Crocoduck,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to explain once again. It's very simple really.

I have heard it rumoured that in every sound card MIDI musical instrument banks (0-127) have been integrated. The sound card on my IBM desktop is from Realtek (can't give you any more details right now,unfortunately, since the IBM is being serviced at the moment).

Based on this information, I'd like to use my M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 to access these MIDI musical instrument patches on my sound card. Now, let's say I'd need a double bass in my score: I want my M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 to produce a double bass sound - but I'd treat this as if it were analogue, leading it on to my (analogue) Tascam four-track recorder or to Audacity (via an audio cable from my computer).

To put it in a different way: the general idea is to add this double bass (or any other instrument I don't play myself) to my score (either on the Tascam orin Audacity) as a "live" instrument (i.e. directly from the Keystation keys). At the moment, though, I don't get any sound at all from my Keystation Pro 88. Hence, I'd need to find some way of linking up Pro 88 with General Midi. And I just don't know how to do that.

I hope this will clarify things a bit.

tnob

Last edited by tnob; March 16th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Beans

Thanks to Jejeman, too, of course. Your suggestions are very helpful.

tnob

Ok, I think I got it... What you are trying to do depends on how the Realtek is made and how ALSA support it (as jejeman said). Let's try to learn some info about your system, this could give us some answers:

Code:
    lspci
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/cards
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/devices
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/pcm
    Code:
    aconnect -i
    Code:
    aconnect -o
    Repost the output of those guys. Keystation 88es, you know, is a mute midi controller. If you want you can plug it into your computer with usb and use any synthetizer or software that can menage soundfonts (as jejeman said). With Jack you can connect the output of those programs to the soundcard output and then record with your analog recorder. You can also connect the output of those programs to Audacity running on your IBM, in order to record at the same time both ways. You see, going through this way is not using the banks of your soundcard, but probably in the banks of your soundcard there are general midi sounds... that are not the most nice... With Qsynth you can load any sound you want... Or maybe there is a way to deeply manage the Realtek's banks? It depends on support.
    Last edited by CrocoDuck; March 16th, 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I will just illustrate here how it is with Audigy2
    Code:
    amidi -l
    Dir Device    Name
    IO  hw:0,0    Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
    IO  hw:0,1    Audigy MPU-401 #2
    IO  hw:0,2    Emu10k1 Synth MIDI (16 subdevices)
    IO  hw:0,3    Emu10k1 Synth MIDI (16 subdevices)
    We can see that we have MIDI devices from the soundcard. 0,0 & 0,1 are MIDI ports. 0,2 & 0,3 are wavetable device.
    Now I can load soundbank in the wavetable
    Code:
    asfxload CT4MGM.SF2
    CT4MGM.SF2 is default soundfont which comes on CD for the soundcard.
    Now I can play the Audigy2's wavetable device when I connect MIDI keyboard to it
    audigy.jpg
    I never saw a Realtek onboard card to show MIDI devices, as Audigy2 does.

Beans

Hi Jejeman and Crocoduck,

Your suggestions are definitely very helpful. Thanks very much for that, guys! However, I'll have to wait for another week for a follow-up, since my IBM desktop is away for some necessary modifications.

In the meanwhile, I have another question. This came up after reading a SoundOnSound review (from 2004, I think) on the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 (on the web).

Allegedly, a guitar can be connected as well - and now I'm wondering if you guys have any experience in this area. And just out of curiosity: what extras does the 88ES bring in (since it's an improved version of the Pro 88, I take it...)

tnob

Beans

Another question to Jejeman too: is Audigy2 a sound card, like Realtek in my IBM? And is it internal or external?

tnob

Beans

Another question to Jejeman too.

I don't know what Audigy2 is (or does). Is it a sound card (internal or external) - like Realtek on my IBM? Or is it an dependent MIDI device?

tnob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast