Thread: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 & Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS

Threaded View

Beans

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 & Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS

Greetings all,

Can anybody help with getting a M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 to work in Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS?

My home studio consists of

- an IBM desktop:Intel ® Core (TM) i 5-3470 CPU @ 3.20 GHz 3.20GHz; RAM 4Gb; 500 Gb HDD; 64 bit;
    - a Realtek soundcard;
    - UbuntuDreamStudio 12.04 as my main platform (with Audacity as sequencer of preference);
    - a vintage TascamPorta 2 four-track analogue recorder;
    - a GEM (piano)keyboard, small, with MIDI IN and MIDI OUT buses;
    - M-AudioKeystation Pro 88: has been purchased second-hand, so original disk and drivers were not included.

Normally ,the Tascam Porta 2 four-tracker is my first port of call – in order to put in a provisional click track and guiding chords (usually with the GEM). These will then be transferred to Audacity and further tracks are added there.

I'm using electric (flat-body) versions of traditional instruments – banjo, guitar,uke, amongst others – with the Tascam Porta 2 four-tracker doubling as amp here. However, I'd very much like to expand my instrumental palette; and it is with this in mind that I purchased the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88.

I'm hoping to use it as a tool for accessing MIDI musical instrument banks 0 – 127 as integrated in the Realtek soundcard of the IBM desktop computer. The musical instrument sounds generated from there could then be led to the Tascam four-tracker and/or Audacity, I imagine, for further processing. This would be the easiest method – and the one most comfortable for me.

In other words: I'd need to program the Keystation Pro 88, in some way or other, in order to create a connection with those MIDI banks 0-127 as incorporated in the Realtek sound card of my computer. But rather than continuing in MIDI – and all the unwanted complications thereof – I just wish, plain and simple, to capture musical instrument sound, coming from Realtek MIDI banks 0-127, on the Tascam or in Audacity. Thus, my preferred routing would be: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 àRealtek sound card on IBM desktop à audio line-out from IBM to Tascam four-tracker/to Audacity on spare deskop.

Is this feasible? And if yes, how? Besides, I’m also wondering if Jackctl has any role to play in this setup.

tnob
    Last edited by tnob; March 16th, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: The text, as submitted, was incomprehensible in the original form.