Ardour 3 is released officially https://community.ardour.org/node/6908

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ardour 3 is here finally ..

cool!

Beans

I note that payment for Ardour 3 is now mandatory. Thats kinda sad but not entirely unexpected.

The question is - will Ardour 3 still be free for the likes of Ubuntu Studio to bundle with the OS? Would be a big hit for such OS's if it wasnt.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I note that payment for Ardour 3 is now mandatory.
    Only for the precompiled package.
    The source is free, although it is a "pain" to get it. I've downloaded the source and compiled it my self.
    The question is - will Ardour 3 still be free for the likes of Ubuntu Studio to bundle with the OS?
    There is a copy of GPL license in the source. So, it can be included in Ubuntu Studio.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jejeman View Post
    Only for the precompiled package.
    The source is free, although it is a "pain" to get it. I've downloaded the source and compiled it my self.
    There is a copy of GPL license in the source. So, it can be included in Ubuntu Studio.
    Good to know.

I think this time I will be paying a few quid for it. It sounds odd, but if I have to pay $1 I might as well throw a few extras in as they do such good work.

Cheers

Beans

Have mixed feelings about Ardour nowadays. Feels like a matter of time before Ardour will charge you for their product. There is more and more talk of donations on their website. Have started to look at other DAWs like Muse2 and RoseGarden.
    Also, It might be a cost issue but "Bitwig Studio" looks promising. Especially if you use Ableton (for Windows) before.
    I give Ardour3 a try and who knows, maybe it is worth giving a penny to them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I rarley use Ardour, my choice for DAW is MusE for four years now, and it is getting better and better.
    Ardour3 is looking really nice, and I will use it for some tasks.

Every FLOSS program is worth to get a penny.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ardour2 was the easiest for me to record audio with Linux , Im interested in BitWig too . Ive been looking in the repos for 13.04 , the vee one suite lv2 plugins are in there so you get a drumsamplv a synthlv and synth samplv , lv2 s made by the Qtractor dev , so that sounds kind of interesting to try with Ardour3 , you could download Ardour3 for $1 , and donate more later if you feel you'll use it or like it . I didnt see Ardour3 in the repos . I guess it was a little to late for 13.04 . Im also interested in trying composite lv2 out seeing you can load Hydrogen kits in it . Seems things are getting better .