Thread: BAS --> TXT (ASCII) --> EXE (how?)

Beans

BAS --> TXT (ASCII) --> EXE (how?)

Hi!

I want co compile GW-Basic's .BAS file into .EXE file. I converted my .BAS file into plain ASCII as mentioned here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post11860089

Now I have no idea how to compile .TXT into .EXE... The program should stay DOS app, so windows compilers is not an option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: BAS --> TXT (ASCII) --> EXE (how?)

I used to do this. Not from Basic, but writing text files as assembler source... piping it through DOS debug to turn it into a binary. Then through link and exe2bin to make it into a DOS executable.

I wrote a utility in C and compiled it for use at a company. They said they couldn't use or maintain it because they didn't have a license for a C compiler. So they thought there would be licensing issues.They had licenses for DOS. So I redid it as described above to suit their requirements. I'm wondering if that "dates" me... as that was about 20 years ago.

So look at those 3 DOS utilities: debug.exe, link.exe and exe2bin.exe.

The problem I see in your instance is that GWBasic and Basic ran interpreted so the basic source code itself ran on an interpreter or a run-time (per-say)... So to extract it as an uninterpreted binary, or converted from Basic source to asm source to use those three utiltilites, you could use one of the old basic compilers (Remembering the Old MS Basic 6.0 compiler), that creates a binary (hex)... then to disassemble into asm source, then create the DOS executable. As I remember right, I think there was options in the Basic Compilers to add in a run-time library when it compiled to create a stand-alone executable.

Or with the FreeBASIC Compiler, there is a DOS port...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 19th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Find a copy of Borland's Turbo Basic. You can compile to an .exe directly from the editor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not Ubuntu related

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Including your email address in a post can turn it into a spam magnet.