Thread: cant seem to download and install stuff???

Hybrid View

Beans

cant seem to download and install stuff???

Hey all i have only recently got ubuntu, so using linux for first time, I have a question

Because its a new laptop im trying to download all the stuff i need from the websites for example AVG(Security) Adobe player etc etc

anyways... most of the thing i can download but iim getting stupied error messages when trying to install them..

Code:
    Archive:  /home/abf13/Downloads/avg_avc_stb_all_2013_3258.exe [/home/abf13/Downloads/avg_avc_stb_all_2013_3258.exe]   End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not   a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the   latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on   the last disk(s) of this archive. zipinfo:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/abf13/Downloads/avg_avc_stb_all_2013_3258.exe or           /home/abf13/Downloads/avg_avc_stb_all_2013_3258.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/abf13/Downloads/avg_avc_stb_all_2013_3258.exe.ZIP, period.
    And for the adobe player i download the file but i cant install it its giving me no options to install and im getting this message

'No application avalible to open 'the file name...) and then i got to find avalible application online but then it finds nothing...

So it seems i cant seem to install these files anyone have any infomation??
    Last edited by aaron3uk; March 16th, 2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: I can download but CANT install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: cant seem to download and install stuff???

lol ubuntu or any other linux distro don't run .exe files ubuntu runs .deb files

Beans
    Distro

if you want to install apps in ubuntu you can use the software manager has tons of apps for ubuntu if that is not enough then you can look on the internet for apps that work in ubuntu and not windows and if you really need to install a windows app you must install wine first.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Best rule of I think I can give a new user like yourself that can be applied to most thing you encounter to start with is this;
    • Ubuntu is NOT Windows.

What normally applies for a Windows system is not always the case for ubuntu (or any Linux OS).

Here some other tips/pointers;

• You do not need any virus scanner of any sort in Ubuntu.

While some may debate this, most Linux user don't run a virus scanner.

• If you need additional software, check the Software Center first.
    • Read up on some guides and tutorials.
    • Enjoy your new FREE Operating System.

Linux can take some getting used to when your used to windows but its worth it.
    Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux 18
    “To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
    box, you just need to work on it”.

Beans

haha oh i see, thank you!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aaron3uk View Post
    haha oh i see, thank you!
    you also don't need the AVG a anti virus is only needed if you are going to scan files before sharing them with windows users and if that is the case you should look for one that runs on ubuntu.

Beans

Hi aaron3uk,

You seem to have already gotten answers you were seeking.

While windows applications (normally) can not run on Linux, there are usually of plenty of alternatives available for doing what you want your OS to do.

It is best you decide whatever you want to do with your Ubuntu installation, then use that task as keyword in Software Center to search for applications that can do that. For example-

'Presentation' keyword suggests 'Libre Office Impress' among other thing which is similar to Microsoft Power Point.

However, if you search for 'Power Point', nothing relevant will turn up. Because it is the name of an application which Linux doesn't know about. But it does know about what it does - creating 'Presentations'.

After some fiddling with Software Center you'll know how to use it.

Alternatively, just create a list of what you want your Ubuntu to do, post it here and you'll most probably get an abundance of choices to choose from, along with suggestions about what will be possibly best for YOU.

Answers to two of your example questions -
    1. Best native Linux antivirus is considered to be ClamAV, not that you really need it. It, and other available antiviruses for Linux are meant to protect your 'Windows' part of machine (if you are dual booting) from windows viruses. They simply do not and can not affect Linux.
    2. For flash player (what you meant by adobe player), while you can install it from Software Center, the best way is to install Flash-Aid plugin in your Firefox browser > Restart the browser and click the Flash-Aid icon at the top right corner of the screen. It will automatically scan your system and will install the best available plugin for flash, as well as optimize your system for it.

For other needs, just search the software center (or net) and if unable to find or decide, just ask us here
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

As has been stated, Ubuntu is not Windows and will require a new way of thinking.

You may find this link useful.

http://www.osalt.com/

And remember, if you have any questions you'll find plenty of support here.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?