Thread: Server Books for beginners?

Beans

Server Books for beginners?

I've started looking into books to learn from instead of scouring Google. I'm trying this Kindle book called Beginning Ubuntu Server Administration: From Novice to Professional by Sander Van Vugt. Initially, I thought it looked promising, but I feel lost following his directions just to setup a Samba file server. I try following his command to try Mounting it and the CLI doesn't accept it. I feel like I wasted $17.

To often I come across tutorials that either do not work or the author skips across things. Or they don't explain what parts of their Commands should have substituted information.

As a beginner I would like to learn how to setup a File Server and also understand Apache. Maybe I should be looking for books on specific things like Apache or Samba. It seems like books that try to comprehensively cover several things on Ubuntu wind up missing details.

Beans

Re: Server Books for beginners?

Well good news is I think the file server is working after consulting Google again with help.ubuntu.com.

Maybe I'll go back to internet tutorials lol. If so I'll be careful to bookmark the better sites.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Server Books for beginners?

Everyone has a different learning style. I personally like the books from No Starch Press: http://nostarch.com. Once you figure out your learning style, then finding material becomes easier.

Do you learn better from:

1. Reading
    2. Viewing video
    3. Listening
    4. Classroom/lecture
    5. Hands-on/breaking things

Or you could do a combination: Pick up a book (read the reviews first!), watch some youtube videos on the subject, listen to a few podcasts, sign up for a class at your nearest linux conference, go to a Linux User's Group (lug) with an old laptop and resurrect it with linux and load the services that you want to learn.

For just plain documentation, start reading: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NewDocs

Paper/Published books get of date quickly, so don't expect each lesson or tutorial to be correct. Perhaps 90%. But that is part of learning. Figuring out what is wrong and then fixing it. Google is your friend for that.

After 10 years, you will get the hang of it.

Really.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.