Thread: Unable to start X when no monitor is plugged in at boot

Beans

Exclamation Unable to start X when no monitor is plugged in at boot

Dear all,

I'm using Xubuntu 12.10 with an Intel mini PC. The video card is Intel HD 4000.
    This mini pc has 2 HDMI video outputs. Everything is fine when booting with an HD TV connected, but if I boot without it (HDMI cable disconnected) and then after the boot I connect it I can only get the console login.
    The problem is related to this error:

"screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration"

How can I make possible to connect the TV after the boot having X up and running with the latest resolution configured?

Thanks for the support.

mrAlmond

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to start X when no monitor is plugged in at boot

Whats giving:

sudo service lightdm restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If the above given command does not work then think about this. When you installed Xubuntu did you put the monitor/TV resolution settings into the installer utility? No. We do not need to do that. Why not? When we load Ubuntu the display server (X) gets the information it needs from the Monitor/TV every time it loads. This is why we can change monitors without needing to install them in Ubuntu. Please read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...ification_data

This is the issue that you have to get around. To do that you may need to create a configuration file with the settings for the TV. Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

The lightdm restart method works but is not suitable for what I need to do.
    In this specific case this mini pc could be connected-disconnected at any time with different TV sets regardless of the model and the timings.
    Moreover I've just discovered that if I unplug and then plug the HDMI cable when xorg is correctly up and running I get black screen until I switch manually the VT using ctrl+alt+F2 and then ctrl+alt+F7.
    This is a very bad issue.

I'm booting from an SSD so I thought also about a boot too fast but installing gdm instead of lightdm did not solve the problem (I've found this suggestion from another thread).