Thread: Mounting partition into /home/user

Beans

Question Mounting partition into /home/user

I am always struggling with Ubuntu 12.04 security measures! I'd like to get hold of the following:

a) How can I set the "executable" bit on a program or script? So far no attempt successful, no way.

b) I intend to mount an empty ext4 partition with mount point "/home/user/something". Logged as "user" I edited fstab with
    gksu gedit /etc/fstab and set options with "user,auto,exec" etc.
    The partition shows in directory but is unfortunately the branch is locked. When I open the partition on the side-bar it says its owner is "root" and I cannot modify it. Splendid!
    How can I make this partition available to the user?

Thanks for advice on a difficult system!
    Last edited by longbeard; March 15th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Beans

Re: Mounting partition into /home/user

a) How can I set the "executable" bit on a program or script? So far no attempt successful, no way.
    You should be able to do this graphically but you can do it in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /path/to/script
    This of course assumes the script resides on a Linux filesystem and not a Windows filesystem.
    I intend to mount an empty ext4 partition with mount point "/home/user/something"
    A newly created ext4 partition will mount with owner = root and permissions of 755. If you are the only user then take possession of the mounted partition:
    Code:
    sudo chown user /home/user/something
    Change "user" to your own login user name.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by longbeard View Post
    set options with "user,auto,exec"
    Options user and auto make little sense when used together. Usually, either the partition gets automatically mounted by root when booting the system or it gets manually mounted by user. Besides, auto is set by default, no need to specify it explicitly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hallo
    how does the whole line of your mount command is. what kind of system you want to mount. how is the server (export) configured for the fs to mount. on your side the
    default for mount is: Use default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async.
    but the master is the server !!!!
    ciao
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht