Thread: Compiz Cubes

Hybrid View

Beans

Compiz Cubes

I would like to acknowledge the Ubuntu team for the effort put into Unity and Compiz. The coolest Desktop around!
    And i also agree that appearance is much more powerful than stability in attracting new users. Of course stability
    is also very essential, to get some work done. But stability comes in time. Now, how about advertising
    some of that appearance?

I followed the guide's suggestions to the "T". Enabled "Cube", "Cube Rotation", "Cube Gears" and "3D Windows" among most of the other effects.
    However, when activating the cube (rotating MM button) I get a rotating 3D cylinder! Not quite cool as a cube . Is this normal?

@wildman:

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager

The guide refers to 12.04 as "Edubuntu". Shouldn' it be "Precise Pangolin" instead?

TIA
    Nikos
    Last edited by nibal; March 15th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Compiz Cubes

You've enabled the "Cube Reflection and Deformation" plugin.

This plugin provides several optional enhancements for the cube:
    -Add wallpaper to the top and bottom of the cube
    -Show a reflective floor when rotating the cube
    -Alter the "cube" shape to a cylinder or a sphere

I like the sphere myself.

That guide is refering to several versions (10.04, 11.10, 12.04) and derivatives (Somebuntu) of Ubuntu.

ie, "Ubuntu 10.04, Edubuntu 10.04 and 12.04" = Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, Edubuntu Lucid Lynx and (Edubuntu) Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu, the standard version, uses Canonical's "Ayatana" desktop environment: Compiz, Unity, and a GNOME/GTK+ software suite
    Edubuntu has an education-oriented software suite and targets classroom use.
    Xubuntu uses the XFWM4-based "XFCE" desktop environment, a lightweight interface and software suite for saving resources.
    Lubuntu uses the Openbox-based "LXDE" desktop environment, an (arguably) even more lightweight interface and software suite for saving resources.
    Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop environment, an alternative to the GNOME/GTK+ interface and software suite that has a strong following for it's design and powerful applications.

More about derivatives here.
    Last edited by quequotion; March 16th, 2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: minor typographical errors

Beans

@quequotion:

> You've enabled the "Cube Reflection and Deformation" plugin.

Yes. I have also enabled just about every effect!
    I am going with the cube, for now.

> Ubuntu, the standard version, uses Canonical's "Ayatana" desktop environment: Compiz, Unity, and a GNOME/GTK+ software suite)
    > Edubuntu has an education-oriented software suite and targets classroom use.
    > Xubuntu uses the XFWM4-based "XFCE" desktop environment, a lightweight interface and software suite for saving resources.
    > Lubuntu uses the Openbox-based "LXDE" desktop environment, an (arguably) even more lightweight interface and software suite for saving resources.
    > Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop environment, an alternative to the GNOME/GTK+ interface and software suite that has a strong following for it's design and powerful applications.

> More about derivatives here.

Wow! That's excellent information. In fact for the past 2 days I couldn't make up my mind which would be the appropriate forum to ask.
    Now, if i only knew how to mark this thread SOLVED!

Thank you,
    Nikos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I followed the guide's suggestions to the "T". Enabled "Cube", "Cube Rotation", "Cube Gears" and "3D Windows" among most of the other effects. However, when activating the cube (rotating MM button) I get a rotating 3D cylinder! Not quite cool as a cube . Is this normal?
    This would be a result of a setting you used in the tutorial , so I would retrace your steps . The cylinder has to be enabled and when I enable a basic cube that is what I see.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors