Thread: Installer Crashed

Beans

Installer Crashed

Trying to install from the Livecd I have on SD card (which is fully updated and contains applications I installed to test) to run along side Windows 7 on an ASUS PEM-1015. It gets to the end and tells me "Installer Crashed - We're sorry blah, blah, blah" and nothing happens when I click on "Close" to gather information about my system and my installation progress which details should be sent to the bug tracker and a developer should attend to my problem as soon as possible.

Needless to say I am not holding my breath for that attention since it fails to respond to "Close." Very inauspicious start to my adventure with Ubuntu and I hope not an omen of things to come. I get the boot menu but it won't boot. I tried recovery with "Repair broken packages" and it hangs with no disk activity or any other indicator of activity. "fsck" hangs with no disk activity.

In most cases it gets to "/dev/sda6: clean, 166036,172832 files, 676802/690176 blocks" before hang. At least Windows still boots.

I tried the reinstall and it hangs at "Restoring previously installed packages."

I tried erase and reinstall and get yet another error about running out of space.

What should I do?

Assuming this thing is a loser how do I reclaim the partition it took away so I can forget about the whole time waster and move on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installer Crashed

Have you tried installing a plain vanilla version of Ubuntu on a plain USB stick? I did a remaster of my system once and couldn't get it to boot - I later found that it was the USB stick i'd used that was the problem, I tried another stick with a vanilla Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and it worked fine...
    Ubuntu Manual - Good Tutorials
    Webupd8 - Cinnamon! - Synapse
    Some just want to watch the world LEARN

Beans

Thanks for the response. No I haven't tried that because I want to install to hard disk what I have been putting together on the stick (which boots but gives me that weird non-login screen for trial or install that I can't get rid of.) If it can't handle installing that there is little point to going further with this. I'll just call it a failed trial and move on to another, hopefully friendlier, distribution.

Any idea how to put the hard disk back the way it was and get rid of that grub boot menu that was installed? I sure hope the install attempt wasn't indelible. That would be unfriendly in the extreme.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

DonGateley; Hi !

I tried erase and reinstall and get yet another error about running out of space.
    This on the SD card that you intend to run as external to the Windows 7 hard disk ?

there are those here who will try and get ya up dual booting