Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 shaping up to be one of the best in my opinion

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 shaping up to be one of the best in my opinion

I never really caught on to this whole Unity interface, but I have been dipping in every so often.

I downloaded and installed 13.04 yesterday. Let me tell you, people are going to be pleased and surprised by this release.
    It's a lot quicker than 12.10 for a start, there is more polish, it feels a lot more complete. For a free desktop this is fantastic.

Now I know Ubuntu has come in for a bit of stick just lately as regards direction, community, but I can't fault what they are trying to do here, not one bit.
    Yes I know it's not as pure as other distros now, and there is always the complaint about the ability to change, tinker with things, but for new users of Linux and Ubuntu this is perfect.

I'm talking about the users who are not interested in tinkering. They just want something that works.
    First impressions count, and I think this latest offering will give people a reason to switch. In the end that is good for all of us.

It's amazing that we have Steam, and its great we are seeing support from other companies now. It's what we have always wanted.

But the best part of it all, if you don't like the direction Ubuntu has gone in, we still have a plenty of other choices.
    What more could we possibly ask for?
    www.techheadz.co.uk
    Selection of tutorials and tips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 shaping up to be one of the best in my opinion

I can't think of a single new feature in 13.04 that's actually going to make a difference. More speed in Unity is good, but it works pretty much quickly enough for me already.

Are there more lenses and scopes?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was experiencing certain annoying bugs in 12.10 that are gone in 13.04, so for me it's an improvement...there has also been a lot of performance and stability improvements from the newer kernels and the like...new refinements and features (small thing perhaps) that make it just plain nicer to to use...updates in development of 13.04 have been very reliable too, so nice improvement in the quality control there...
    It's got more polish

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Are there more lenses and scopes?
    I'm not really gripped up on the testing branch, but I believe so. The shopping lens is getting expanded to include stuff other than Amazon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I was experiencing certain annoying bugs in 12.10 that are gone in 13.04, so for me it's an improvement...there has also been a lot of performance and stability improvements from the newer kernels and the like...new refinements and features (small thing perhaps) that make it just plain nicer to to use...updates in development of 13.04 have been very reliable too, so nice improvement in the quality control there...
    It's got more polish
    That is my experience as well, though I have 12.10 gnome, not the 'mainstream' version. I'm running gnome shell with 13.04 and very few glitches. My primary problems with 12.10 seemed to do with X and power management - primarily resuming to a stable state after suspending. 13.04 seems as - boring - as 12.04 for me and that's a good thing.

Beans

I was running 13.04 exclusively for quite a while up until 2 weeks ago. I did indeed find it to be very fast and very polished. I still look at the dash and wonder why it's a mess though, as mouse-centric users still have to make far too many clicks to get to their applications listing. Unity's lack of customizability with the dash menu is a buzz kill, but I hope (and expect) that to be fixed in time. I do remember seeing some sort of utility which allows you to customize Unity quite a bit in 13.04, but something like that should really be integrated in my opinion. 13.04 is undoubtedly going to be a solid release, mostly due to Unity's rather incredible speed improvements. I was on 12.04 for the longest time and after a while even on 12.04, which was the "first" really awesome Unity release, it would still feel like it was dragging on at times. I am sure the speed bump in 13.04 will be appreciated by all.

In other news, if you're a KDE user, you could check out the Homerun launcher widget which is available in the Kubuntu Backports PPA. Unity style launcher with a more logical application layout and all of the speed and customizability you'd want.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I'm not really gripped up on the testing branch, but I believe so. The shopping lens is getting expanded to include stuff other than Amazon.
    That is true, however, everything (including the extended shopping sources) is shut off when you hit that "off" button in your privacy settings...

@Roasted: I actually make very little use of the dash...i find that with unity, it is best to put all your favorites as well as frequently used apps on it, for quick and easy "1 click access"...
    The only time i use dash (search) is for a rarely used app (like the terminal) and then it's just a matter of typing a few letters and there it is...using it much like you would use the search on say, a kde "kick off" (slab) menu...I don't bother with the various lenses for accessing apps or files...i go directly to my home folder for anything i need (videos, mp3 files, photos, etc)...

Using unity in that manner makes it very easy to use...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 16th, 2013 at 01:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    ... mouse-centric users still have to make far too many clicks to get to their applications listing. ...
    There's the Drawers PPA that lets users organize their stuff better in the Launcher. So there may not be need to visit the Dash. Of course, one has to take the initial steps of organizing things correctly.

Beans

It is very good and I'm loving Ubuntu again for the first time in a long while. However, "Feature freeze exception" sends chills down my spine. Not that the developers can't get this right. It's just that it's an inherently risky undertaking. It would be a shame when it is so good so far for Raring Ringtail to turn out to be another Quantum Pretzel.

Beans
    Distro

Quantum Pretzel (LOL)

Yes 13.04 does seem like quite an improvement over 12.10...I was hoping Raring Ringtail would become Rolling Release but doesn't look like that will be the case....
    Oh well...perhaps 13.10 will become the new Rolling Version (staying in "Development" as Mark Shuttleworth mentioned) without the need for upgrading after that (as proposed by Mark)...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast