Thread: Wireless not working on Dell Latitude D505

Beans

Wireless not working on Dell Latitude D505

I installed the latest version of Ubuntu (as of March 14, 2013) on my Dell Latitude D505 after reformatting the hard drive. All available updates have been applied. The system seems to work well. It has internet access when wired to my router, but the wireless does not work.

The wireless did work with the router with Windows so the hardware is OK. I find no hardware switch on the laptop. There is bound to be some software step I need to find.

I know a little about DOS and Windows but am a newbie about Ubuntu. I do not even know how to view the Ubuntu version number. Where do I start to enable the wireless capability and then search for my LAN?

Help will be appreciated. It is probably something simple.

Thanks.

R W White
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 15th, 2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Removed e-mail address

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wireless not working on Dell Latitude D505

Welcome to the forums rwwhite,

For starters with the wireless, we'd need to look at the command output of-
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    And to let us know of your Ubuntu version and kernel it is using -
    Code:
    uname -mr
    lsb_release -d
    Enter these commands in a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and post back their outputs here.

Thanks!
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Welcome to the forums rwwhite,

For starters with the wireless, we'd need to look at the command output of-
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    And to let us know of your Ubuntu version and kernel it is using -
    Code:
    uname -mr
    lsb_release -d
    Enter these commands in a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and post back their outputs here.

Thanks!
    I'm sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is exactly the issue I'm having with my D505.

I posted the question here on the linuxquestions subreddit and poked around the forums here a bit more and found this thread.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestio..._wifi_problem/

Here's what I wrote:
    I've got Lubuntu installed and everything seems good to go aside from the wifi not working. I was very determined to get this up and running over a month ago and read/tried various things from the forums and nothing took. So I put it down for a while. But I'm back at it. I'm still new to Linux but I'm learning more all the time. I'm down to only using Windows at work. Here are a couple of the places I was using.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1876860
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx
    running Additional Drivers finds
    Broadcom STA wireless driver
    But when I try to install it, the progress bar will get to about 80% or so and this happens
    http://imgur.com/Efc8GDE
    Any help?
    Also, and I can only assume this is a long shot, there's an S-Video out on this laptop and having that work would be great. But I wouldn't even know where to begin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Following what Varun said, I get this:

01:03.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4324] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Dell Truemobile 1450 MiniPCI [1028:0003]
    Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
    --
    01:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller [8086:103d] (rev 81)
    Subsystem: Dell Latitude D500 [1028:2002]
    Kernel driver in use: e100

And this:

3.2.0-48-generic i686
    Description: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

Thank you for your time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by buttonmasher2 View Post
    01:03.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4324] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Dell Truemobile 1450 MiniPCI [1028:0003]
    Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
    If you have a wired connection available, please do -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    If you don't have any way to connect to internet, manually download the above package from here : http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/a...nfree/download , then copy the package to your Ubuntu machine and double-click it to install.

Once it is installed, purge the sta driver if it is present -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    Then just reboot, or manually (re)load the correct driver as follows -
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rfv b43
    sudo modprobe -v b43
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    If you have a wired connection available, please do -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    If you don't have any way to connect to internet, manually download the above package from here : http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/a...nfree/download , then copy the package to your Ubuntu machine and double-click it to install.

Once it is installed, purge the sta driver if it is present -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    Then just reboot, or manually (re)load the correct driver as follows -
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rfv b43
    sudo modprobe -v b43

That's the stuff! Thank you, very much. I wish I could mark this problem as solved but it's not my thread. Good deal.

Now, not to be too much of a pain in the butt... Any ideas on how to get the S-Video out to work? No sweat, if not. The wireless was the actual problem. Getting the video output to work would just be cool.

Again, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by buttonmasher2 View Post
    That's the stuff! Thank you, very much. I wish I could mark this problem as solved but it's not my thread. Good deal.

Now, not to be too much of a pain in the butt... Any ideas on how to get the S-Video out to work? No sweat, if not. The wireless was the actual problem. Getting the video output to work would just be cool.

Again, thanks.
    The s-video guys are over here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=334 They don't let us fool with the fun stuff here in wireless jail.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    The s-video guys are over here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=334 They don't let us fool with the fun stuff here in wireless jail.
    Excellent. Thanks.

And while it might feel like you're in wireless jail away from the fun, without you networking guys and your skills, we non-networky types wouldn't be able to even get to the party, let alone have fun there. So, thanks for sharing.