Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

Some comments and questions about LXLE

0. Generally LXLE is very nice out of the box,

and particularly for old computers, it works better than the newer versions of Lubuntu (due to the hardware drivers). Now that Lubuntu 12.04 is approaching end of life, I think LXLE and PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks by kansasnoob remain as the best Ubuntu flavour alternatives for those old computers, where the hardware has been abandoned by newer Ubuntu versions. Xubuntu is also good but has only 3 years LTS (until April 2015).

1. Downloading

- Is there any torrent for LXLE?

- phillw.net/isos/lxle/precise

Please refresh or add point versions at phillw.net/isos/lxle/precise, because this site is very fast and reliable.

- How can I use sftp or scp as recommended on your web page?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxle...Current/32Bit/

- I found that the following commands work

Code:
    wget -O lxle1204-32.iso sourceforge.net/projects/lxle/files/Current/32Bit/lxle1204-32.iso/download
    wget -O lxle1204-32.iso.md5 sourceforge.net/projects/lxle/files/Current/32Bit/lxle1204-32.iso.md5/download
    Edit: After the update the commands are changed to
    Code:
    wget -O lxle1204-32.iso http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxle/files/Current%20Release/32Bit/lxle-12.04.03-32.iso/download
    wget -O lxle1204-32.iso.md5 http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxle/files/Current%20Release/32Bit/lxle-12.04.03-32.iso.md5/download
    So I suggest that you add them (or at least 'wget, sftp or scp'). By the way, why 'download' at the end of the adress?

2. blkid is extremely slow

Code:
    sudo blkid          # slow
    sudo blkid /dev/s*  # works normally

time sudo blkid  # needed 10 minutes in an IBM Thinkpad T42 with 1280 MB RAM
    But it works normally in some other computers. (Lubuntu has no such problem in my Thinkpad.)

3. No text screens

ctrl + alt + F1 ... F6 do not show text screens.

Will the following tip solve this problem, or another one?

For one reason or another tty works on the build machines but once the iso is generated TTY's are being ripped out. Ugh, here is the simple fix though.

There is a readme inside the file that says the following.

Step 1
    open terminal enter the following without quotes
    "sudo pcmanfm /etc/init"
    once directory is open move all tty.conf files (1-6) to init directory.
    restart pc
    Here is a link to the files
    Last edited by sudodus; August 20th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Beans

Ya man that should work, I still haven't been able to track down why they get ripped out.

Phill's mirror are outdated and the other links do not work any longer since the new version was released.

I'll have to do some testing with blkid, thanks for the heads up.

--Ronnie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I currently have a three year old ASUS AMD C50 netbook that barely runs Ubuntu 12.04 but I use it due to LTS. I would love to use this but am worried like many other great distros of past, it would go out in the wind.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    I currently have a three year old ASUS AMD C50 netbook that barely runs Ubuntu 12.04 but I use it due to LTS. I would love to use this but am worried like many other great distros of past, it would go out in the wind.
    Understandable, and although promises are shallow reassurances over the internet. LXLE is a fun project for me and I fail to see a day where doing a cool respin won't be fun. That being said, even if it went poof, for one its linux so moving to another os is pretty easy. Second how many OS's do you think the netbook is going to see before its EOL? I don't think I'd worry to much about it really and try to enjoy using it while you still can.

Beans

LXLE Continues to freeze during install

I'm a first time Linux user. So I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I am trying to install LXLE from a Disk but the install keeps freezing. It will pause on a black screen with script running and will go no further. I've searched for a solution and watched a million tutorials on installation but can't figure out what the problem is. I'm not a quitter and this is actually the first time I've ever posted anything on any forum. So any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: LXLE Continues to freeze during install

try reburning a dvd at a slower speed or using a usb stick to install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: LXLE Continues to freeze during install

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Can you post the hardware specs of the machine.
    You can do it from the installation disk, just open a terminal window, and run
    Code:
    lshw > ~/Desktop/hardware.txt
    That will create a text file on the desktop, just post its content here.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Threads merged.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

I tried on my eMachine 355-M571G251lkk (double core CPU) with 1 G RAM, compared with Mint15 it was slightly faster but as soon as I opened more than one program, it showed obvious memory leak - the mouse cursor frozen or the drop-down menu clicked refused to show menu items apart from a grey box. Basically it is unusable so to speak. During installation, when the installation almost finished, the application frozen at 'copying installation logs'. I forced it to switch off. Is this the reason? I previously used Lubuntu without this problem. Later on I changed to Mint due to though Lubuntu a bit faster, it is apt to annoying problem like missing menu bar while Mint is more reliable and also fast enough.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast