Hey guys,

I know this sounds like a pretty common issue that a lot of people new to Ubuntu Server want to do, but I assure you I have gone through all the easy stuff and I need some assistance about what I am missing.

Here is the setup that I am working with:
Ubuntu Server (newest version)
Netgear WND3700 Router
Putty on my laptop

I've got the Server set up and I can access everything from inside of my own home network (both the server via Putty, and the Subsonic via a web browser), but I can not get access to it from outside of the network.

I have the external IP address that addresses my router from the outside world (and I can successfully ping it from a windows command line), and I have attempted to set up Port forwarding by opening port 654 and it shows the rule as active inside of my router's admin page and it connects to my internal IP address of, but when I attempt to access the site from outside my network as XXX.XXX.X.X:654 it just times out.

I eventually tried checking to see if the port was open using the tool http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ but it shows as closed.

I'm officially flummoxed. I would very much appreciate any help that you can offer and I will provide any further information that you require.

Thank you for your time,