Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Linux Distros for my Laptops

Beans

Exclamation Best Linux Distros for my Laptops

I have two laptops one is a Acer Aspire One D270-1466. The other is a HP Notebook 2000. The Acer is currently running Ubuntu 12.10 32 bit and the HP is running Linux Mint 14 MATE 64 bit. I'm perfectly fine with Mint 14 on my HP but there is one annoying problem with it. Sometimes when I turn it on I get a black screen that hangs until I turn it off using the switch. Sometimes I have to boot multiple times to get it to start but once it does it works fine. It's only a minor issue but I'd love to fix it or install a better OS. For my Acer. Ubuntu starts fast with no issues but I really despise the Unity interface. I know that there must be a more efficient OS for my Acer. It's only a netbook not really that powerful so as long as it's secure, up to date, use word like apps, read PDFs, and quickly access the net. I'm fine as long as it's fast. Ubuntu is fine right now though, it's certainly faster than than Windows 7 Starter ever was.

Specs:

Acer - 1 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz processor, 320 GB HDD

HP - 4 GB RAM, AMD E-350 Processor 1600.00 MHz, 500 GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best Linux Distros for my Laptops

If you want to stick with the Ubuntu family you could try Lubuntu or Xubuntu (or just install lxde or xfce on your current Ubuntu install) on the Acer. I don't know what to tell you about the HP.

Beans

What are the terminal commands to install lxde and xfce?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For LXDE:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    For XFCE:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4

Beans

Thank you!!

Beans

I would recommend using Xubuntu. If you install XFCE, then spend a little bit of time to configure your system so that it does not load too many programs at startup that might have been left over from other DEs.

Cheers.

Beans

If you like LXDE, I would recommend going with Lubuntu instead of the bare LXDE desktop. Regular LXDE gave me a lot of problems with compositing that I didn't have with Lubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have installed Fedora18_xfce on my netbook and it runs better then most of the distros.. and I have tried a lot of them out there. But then my Netbook has PowerVR chip and the linux support for it is bad.

On your Hp you can try Ubuntu_12.04 with Cinnamon... I have this set up on bro's HP Notebook (I don't quite remember the model) and it works great. Cinnamon also works great with Ubuntu_13.04(development release).
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I've tried LXDE, XFCE, Xubuntu, and gnome on my netbook. They all work great. I didn't notice any speed differences between them. They were all better than Unity however. I had to reinstall after trying to try out the KDE/Kubuntu environment. Not sure what happened but after installing the OS failed to boot. Reinstalled Ubuntu, now running 10.04. Tried all the same environments again. Didn't notice any speed differences between them. So I guess I can just use the one I like the most. I'll go through the annoying process of Upgrading once April rolls around since that is when 10.04 reaches end of life. I don't think I can upgrade using a 12.04/12.10 disc without losing my settings so I'll wait to upgrade with the manager when needed. As for the notebook. I'm 100 percent fine with Linux Mint, it's just the startup hitch that bothers me. Otherwise I am good with it. I tried installing Cinnamon on Mint 14. It works pretty well and I like the interface but it seems like opening the menu is delayed a bit compared to MATE. I'm pretty sure that the Ubuntu version would act the same since Mint 14 is basically Ubuntu. Might still try your Ubuntu suggestion. Probably install it on a flash drive or I will install it if I ever need to reinstall the OS. I kind of like Mint 14 a lot more than Ubuntu and I'm glad I finally have it installed(Tried installing previous version but they never worked). Before now I was always running it virtually on my main windows 7 desktop. Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.

Beans

The choice of operating system always comes down to what are you going to do with the system? Are both (or either) of these computers going to be used just as desktops for PC use? Are there other reasons for installing a flavor/distro of linux on your machines (besides the fact that for the most part they are much more stable, adaptable and usable than any windows OS). Once you have an idea of what you are going to use the machien for then it will be much easier to provide information about which distro to use for your computers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast