Thread: Groups of Applications in Unity (loosely tied to requirements for Edubuntu)

Beans

Groups of Applications in Unity (loosely tied to requirements for Edubuntu)

My query is general in nature, although it is spawned of a problem I am trying to address within Edubuntu 12.04. I should mention that I am an occasionally Linux user (somewhere between novice and intermediate level), but that I have not used a desktop Linux for a few years (I think Ubuntu 10 was the last I tried).

I was aware that Unity has caused controversy, but I am keen to experience it for myself. Indeed, I don't mind the "search for an app" idea for my own desktop computer where I have installed exactly the software that I need. However, I am trying Edubuntu because I now have young children who I would like to let loose on the computer. Edubuntu comes with plenty of appropriate applications, but I need to be able to present them to the children in groups that they can explore. The search feature is pretty much useless for this purpose (KBruck, Laby, Step... all cryptic - and requiring basic reading and computer skills to find! Not to mention that they are listed alongside system configuration apps and everything else).

So, what I need, I suppose, is something like the old Windows 3 "program manager" - for those who can remember! Basically, an app to organise shortcuts to apps. I have tried searching around, but alas. Can anyone make any recommendations please?

Gracias!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Groups of Applications in Unity (loosely tied to requirements for Edubuntu)

What about the ClassicMenu Indicator? http://www.linuxnov.com/add-classic-...angolin-panel/

It is a similar menu to the Gnome 2 menu, with the same categories of applications. I'm not sure if you can reorganize the categories, never looked into it.
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I solved this problem with the grandkids by placing all their start icons on the desktop. So now when the kids guest account is opened, thats the first thing they see.

Your start icons are located in /usr/share/applications

Copy and paste to desktop.
    Last edited by ibjsb4; March 15th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I solved this problem with the grandkids by placing all their start icons on the desktop. So now when the kids guest account is opened, thats the first thing they see.

Your start icons are located in /usr/share/applications

EDIT: I tried to edit out that pic as it is wrong and will not work. But can't seem to do that. So please disregard it.
    In what way will it not work?

AFAIK, this technique is usable per user, as long as you copy from /usr/share and not try to move. Drag and drop won't work, so simply copy into ~/Desktop.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    In what way will it not work?

AFAIK, this technique is usable per user, as long as you copy from /usr/share and not try to move. Drag and drop won't work, so simply copy into ~/Desktop.
    I believe you read my post while I was editing it.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll report back after trying!

Beans

Just given ClassicMenu Indicator a spin - it is exactly what I wanted, thanks! I was keen to keep Unity to give it a fair go, but I think that they have overlooked the importance of organising programs into groups. It is like buying a reference book and finding that it has an index but no table of contents! There is a reason that the index is at the back but the contents is at the front; you use the index when you know what basically you are doing but need to check something. You use the contents when you want to start learning what can be done! Obviously, if children are the target audience then the latter is of particular importance. Edubuntu should pick up ClassicMenu Indicator as part of their standard package.