Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing a News Reader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installing a News Reader

I was looking for a news reader to replace Google reader today. I found eight of them. I don't have enough experience to install anything from a packed file and most of them come that way. Do you have any suggestions for a good news reader? That is easy to install? One or two of the ones I found had install instructions, but all they did was prove that the guy that wrote the software had no business writing the instructions. Any ideas?

JC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing a News Reader

Downloading files from a website to install a program should only be done as a a last resort, instead you should try and use the Software Centre to find and install a news reader.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Searching the Software for 'news reader' or 'rss reader' brings up several results, I can't give a personal recommendation as I havn't used any of them.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Thank you so much. I don't remember what I searched on, but your options worked a lot better.

JC

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
    I was looking for a news reader to replace Google reader today. I found eight of them. I don't have enough experience to install anything from a packed file and most of them come that way. Do you have any suggestions for a good news reader? That is easy to install? One or two of the ones I found had install instructions, but all they did was prove that the guy that wrote the software had no business writing the instructions. Any ideas?

JC
    I use Lightread, i find it very good: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/i...we-go-hands-on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Downloading files from a website to install a program should only be done as a a last resort, instead you should try and use the Software Centre to find and install a news reader.
    +1

The practice of using only repositories is one of Linux's safeguards against malware. I use Lightread and am very happy with it.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Hidden!

It looks as if lightread uses google reader, and that is apparently being stopped later this year. What does that mean for lightread?
    Google to retire Reader service
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    It looks as if lightread uses google reader, and that is apparently being stopped later this year. What does that mean for lightread?
    Google to retire Reader service
    Good question, there might be some good leads in this reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...t_are_rlinuxs/

I might give a try with Thunderbird.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I was under the impression that Lightread replaces Google Reader but was not dependent on it and only defaulted to Google's RSS feed. I could be wrong, but really don't think so. In my Lightread setup, I only have Google as one of my feeds, the others coming from all over the place. Will have to look into it further.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I was under the impression that Lightread replaces Google Reader but was not dependent on it and only defaulted to Google's RSS feed. I could be wrong, but really don't think so. In my Lightread setup, I only have Google as one of my feeds, the others coming from all over the place. Will have to look into it further.
    That would be good, I really like Lightread. I just set-up the Thunderbird Bamboo add-on to manage my rss feeds, it looks ok (with the dark theme), but I think I prefer Lightread.

Beans

I've had good luck over the years with the Pan Newsreader...ymmv.
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast