Thread: Change folder permissions

Beans

Change folder permissions

I want to change permissions of a file so any user can add files to the folder /var/www on my apache web server so i can add web files.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change folder permissions!

caleb12134; Hi !

All one wants to know about permissions and how to use them:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions

HTH

Beans

can someone give me an example with all permissions??

Beans

chmod 777 <filename>

chmod -R 777 <directory>

Beans

Ok so i will explain in more details??
    So i want to change the permissions of a file in my apache web server so that i can edit and add files from my current ubuntu desktop account??? The file path is /var/www/multicraft ??? How would I give this file all permissions to everyone?? it says im not the owner???Please help me

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

caleb12134;
    specifically...not a problem at all. Just be aware of the warnings in arbitrarily assigning access.
    I would like to point out that the following command is not necessarily a good idea:
    Quote:
    sudo chmod -R 777 /<some directory>
    It will make every subdirectory executable which is what you need in order to open it to see what's inside and to work with it. But it will also make every file executable as well, maybe not at all your real intent !
    An alternate way that works around this problem is to use something like this:
    Code:
    Code:sudo chmod -R a+rwX /var/www/multicraft
    All subdirectories will be marked rwx for user, group, and others. The big "X" will also not make files executable unless they were executable to begin with. There is no way to reproduce this using octal notation.

just pass'n it on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

This is a very useful tip. The gods of Ubuntu keep wanting to protect us from ourselves and set up traps to keep us from moving files in our own home directory and subdirectories. Using sudo chmod -R a+rwX on /home/myname and its subdirectories has saved much frustration and time.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Change folder permissions

1. Please don't bump threads that are two weeks old with off-topic messages.

2. Ubuntu does not limit your access to your home directory. If you've been using root access incorrectly you may have inadvertantly restricted permissions in your subfolders.

3. It's a bad idea to loosen the permissions of /var/www - instead, use sudo to copy files to that folder.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.