Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trisquel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Trisquel

I'm wondering if anyone in the forums uses Trisquel. I have questions.

I've been checking out the livecd of Brigantia (5.5) and I mostly like what I see - especially because it seems to fit my particular needs. I happen to be one of those people that doesn't like or trust the idea of proprietary software; nor am I a fan of auto-opt-in services (like the ones Ubuntu has been pushing of late) - even if they claim they use 'anonymous data' or can be turned off. I want a distro that obeys me, not betrays me. ...Which is what eventually led me to Trisquel – well, that and the familiar apt package management I've become accustomed to.

I'm mentioning all this because I feel mostly confident that Trisquel meets these needs and my experience will be based upon how well it fulfills those needs. My requirements are simple: honesty, integrity, safety, and respect in design and practice, in implementation and execution; absolute respect and adherence to user control, security.

For the time being, I plan to dual boot my machine: Ubuntu and Trisquel. I'm newbie-enough that I have a need for a crutch, I'm not just being hypocritical.

Which brings me to my questions:

Does Trisquel support dual-boot? When I click "Install" will it give me that option? I'm guessing 'yes', but would like confirmation.

My current Ubuntu install is encrypted, will this be an issue?

Drivers. I think one of the few things holding me back at this point are drivers. Frankly, I'm a little nervous about having to seek out open source drivers for my machine. Does Trisquel install seek these out the open equivalents for me, or is this something I need to source and bring to the party myself?

If I dual boot my machine (as mentioned above), could there be a potential for losing the drivers that function on the Ubuntu side when I switch over to use Ubuntu - or vice-versa, or am I just clueless about how that works? (Hey, I told you earlier I'm a newbie. You were warned.)

I realize that 6.0 Toutatis is right around the corner. I've only experienced 1 distro version upgrade - and that was on Ubuntu - to Quantal. Would Trisquel function in the same way? Should I just hold off, try a livecd of 6.0 instead? What's your opinion?

What are the available software resources like? How reliable is the software?

I have to admit, I've tried Debian and I love how everything seems to have properties that can be changed. (Click the title bar/notification area/launcher (dash)/whatever). I'm probably not using the right terminology. Whatever. Debian seemed very flexible. I noticed (again, via livecd) that Trisquel seems to be a little thin on these sorts of "make it pretty my way" features - or is that only a livecd limitation?

If you use or have used Trisquel, what has your experience been like? What were the pros and cons?

Lastly (See? I told you I had questions!), are there good, reliable community forums that I can check out before I take another step forward (i.e., like where we are right now, but for Trisquel)?

Thanks for your time, patience, and answers. I appreciate it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Trisquel

Dual boot is not going to be a problem. I don't use Trisquel, but I do have like 30 distros for BSD and Linux in virtual machines, so you just gave me a new one to try out.

Now, GRUB supports booting any number of machines, I have quint-booted before Mac, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7, and PC-BSD.

Trisquel apparently uses GRUB as it's bootloader, so after you partition and install it, GRUB will see ubuntu as well as trisquel so you'll be able to freely boot into either one you want.

I'm looking at Bodhi for the same reasons you're looking at trisquel by the way. I'm NOT digging canonical's direction with the whole auto-opt-in CRAP, and I like debian-based distros... check Bodhi out man, I like it. I'll give Trisquel a try for sure too.

EDIT*** Your second question... no, you won't lose any drivers. since it's a debian-based distro, trisquel would require similar, of not outright the same drivers. debian packages work on nearly all debain-based distros (or even converted .rpm or pacman, etc... the only universal linux package is a tarball), so you should be more than okay. I'd imagine trisquel has it's own method for finding the drivers you need to. As long as you have Nvidia, you'll be MUCH better off than having ATI, linux support for thos cards freakin suck compared to NVidia. Integrated graphics, wifi, ethernet, etc should all work fine - linux has come a LONG way and works almost always fresh out of the box with most distros now.

As for the forum, I'm not so sure man. Fedora, Ubuntu, Debain, Arch, Slackware, etc. have excellent support because of how big the distros are. BUT... being debian-based, you'll probably be fine in any of the major forums off-distro talks. Just mention what you're on. I've never heard of trisquel, but distros are pretty similar. Now, if you'll allow, I'm off to download trisquel.
    Last edited by JiuJitsu500; February 13th, 2013 at 05:16 AM.
    When your entire life is measured in one moment, you change the concept of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Most of your questions have been answered by jiujitsu, so I won't add anything here. But there will be some drawbacks in using it.

I disagree that drivers will not be a problem in Trisquel. Drivers support will be a huge problem in Trisquel. You will have no problem with some, because the
    Linux kernel has come a long way and now supports a very wide range of devices. But because Trisquel follows a very strict policy of free software only, and thus all binary blobs from the kernel is cleaned and proprietary drivers are not allowed, so support for certain devices, especially wireless and video cards, will be impaired, or there will be no support at all.

(Also, say goodbye to Flash, since it's proprietary. And Gnash, the replacement, is nowhere as good)

Personally, I feel that Trisquel is a niche distro aimed at a niche market (e.g. FSF purists, ..) but there's no harm trying it out. But if I want a functional distro, I would use Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Wow, so check it..... I came back from a quick commercial break and downloaded trisquel while reading their FAQ and checking out some documentation....

I don't think I'll like this one very much, zombie just pointed out some things I didn't know, like having strict adherence to the FSF ordeal and being pretty much stuck to the GNU/Linux name instead just Linux (FSF and Stallman's staple argument)... which automatically makes me think that nothing proprietary (broadcom drivers, NVidia drivers, etc) would be available.

Though ubuntu-based, this alone limits the things you can get/do dramatically. Open-Source or Free alternatives are, like zombie said, NOWHERE close often times to free proprietary software (his example of flash is 100% dead-on).

Good luck with trisquel man, I'm not diggin the idea. Still going to virtualbox it though just to not waste my download.

**EDIT** Oh, you don't have to give up Ubuntu in general, btw.... the other versions of it (gnome-shell remix, kubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu, cinnamon remix, MATE mix), or other ubuntu based distros don't have the damn options a standard install does.... I like the gnome-remix, or xfce... just saying
    Last edited by JiuJitsu500; February 13th, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
    When your entire life is measured in one moment, you change the concept of time.

Beans

Just tried Trisquel 6.0 pre-release (based on Precise - not sure if alpha or beta. RC quality). I liked it very much. Unfortunately, I need the proprietary graphics driver to make my PC operate with a bearable noise level and you cannot install it on Trisquel. I suppose you could hack it but then why would you bother?

A few things it has:

An attractive and proper albeit conservative Gnome-Panel theme (i.e. Gnome 3 fallback)
    NetBeans, Eclipse, and VirtualBox in the repos.
    LibreOffice 3.5
    Gimp... 2.6 (like Precise)
    Tasksel with GLAMP (GNU/Linux Apache MySQL PHP)

However, you're pretty much stuck with that DE. A version of the distro for old hardware called Trisquel Light (LXDE) is available but I couldn't find the LXDE package in the software-center, so maybe the two are separate. No Xfce, no KDE and no Gnome Shell. No Openbox for some reason. I guess it's not 100% free.

Seems perfectly usable and I would run it for a couple of weeks if it was quieter on my PC.
    Last edited by iamkuriouspurpleoranj; February 13th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MyTinFoilHat View Post
    I realize that 6.0 Toutatis is right around the corner. I've only experienced 1 distro version upgrade - and that was on Ubuntu - to Quantal. Would Trisquel function in the same way? Should I just hold off, try a livecd of 6.0 instead? What's your opinion?

Debian seemed very flexible. I noticed (again, via livecd) that Trisquel seems to be a little thin on these sorts of "make it pretty my way" features - or is that only a livecd limitation?
    Go straight for 6.0. It seems stable enough to me (as of today). As it should, since Trisquel developers essentially only weed out the non-free stuff from Ubuntu. That's not to belittle their work - it's just their primary development activity.

Re flexibility: Indeed, it seems like Unity in the sense that it's great if you like the theme but if you don't there's not a lot you can do to change things. It has the gnome tweak tool and will apparently support other themes but Gnome-Panel (Gnome 3 fallback) is really quite inflexible.

I could really see someone with the right hardware and a commitment to the FSF's principles getting a lot of enjoyment out of this.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you need to use another DE like xfce or any other that is in the Ubuntu repositories just go to the CLI and type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    Or go to synaptic package manager. Trisquel is indeed 100% free

When you buy hardware that is freedom friendly, everything would work including wifi and 3D acceleration.

Some PC manufactures like Toshiba for example use a DRM feature to prevent the owner of a laptop from changing the mini-pci wifi card with a different model or brand.

I want my system (software & hardware) to work for me and to be able to simply choose what I want do with it. Why been subjugated to the will of xyz company is better? Reverse engineering is not the solution but supporting freedom friendly hardware is, so demand is increase and therefor the offer will materialize in a more popular way.

Regardless of the distro, I prefer not to use proprietary hardware and/or software like Nvidia or Intel wifi cards, because they don´t care about Linux (or I should said Gnu/Linux) and that´s why the support that we receive from then is 0. Remember the video of Linus Torvalds regarding Nvidia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw

In my humble opinion is not ethically correct or good business to support a legal entity that in turn it does 0 for us.

There are companies that sell PC´s that are freedom friendly and would work with any distro and one that I know is

http://libre.thinkpenguin.com

When I left Windows for Ubuntu, there where certain software and hardware that was design specifically for Windows and would not work, but Ubuntu prevail because I feel that I had more control over it. Then I learn the difference between open source and free software and as it happen with Ubuntu before, I have no choice but to embrace it.

Trisquel besides been and excellent ambassador is essay to use.

Regards

PS. Finally I haven been using Trisquel Brigantia-Xfce for almost a year as my main OS and besides been and educational experience, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Last edited by Lemuriano; February 14th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans

It's true. I tested it out and you can indeed install Xfce - and presumably the others - from synaptic package manager or the command line. It's just not listed in what looks like the Gnome software installer (whatever that's called).

Beans

^^ Preinstalled Trisquel: that's great !

Beans
    Distro

@ Lemuriano

Hold on... I don't think there are many setups at all that are strictly Free-Friendly, but if I'm wrong then I won't disagree. Find me a laptop you can't build yourself though with all FSF compliance. HP, ASUS, Acer, Dell, a TON of companies who make mostly dig Linux and the idea of open-source... but dude... get real to think any decent and commonly found laptop is ALL FSF or open friendly. Still won't argue if you're right. BUT, I will disagree that you have to be out of your mind in the graphics department.

Do you really think noveau or flgrx are even CLOSE to proprietary?

NVidia and ATI are all you have. Integrated graphics with both AMD and Intel are not even an argument, period. Both are well supported, yada yada.

NVidia and ATI BOTH offer their OWN drivers, available from the manufacturer and the repos of many distros (as they come in tarballs, virtually any distro can install them, use them, keep updated, etc). And I mean that. Fedora and all the .rpm guys, arch and the pacman guys, debian and all the .deb guys, keep going... gentoo, slackware, dragora, name it... they ALL have ATI and NVidia support FROM the manufacturer... and if not, they are based on a package manager who has a developer who DOES make the drivers (even if they are not of as-high quality...

So, then you ask why that's necessary... well, because I buillt this damn computer or bought it as-is. So, when I look for a distro that supports it all, most of which works out-of-box, I want to know the manufacturer supports my distro (at least the manager. You can get Fedora to function as well as Ubuntu or Slax or Arch with drivers FROM the manufacterer... so why go with the whole Free Software thing? They make the devices, so their drivers should be better than the open-source ones, right? Not in all cases, granted. They are STILL open, anyone can change it.

Besides, no one plays Battlefield 3 or Skyrim with 50 mods - let alone anything newer (Crysis 3, Dead Space 3... anything coming out, etc)... There is literally nothing else requiring perfect drivers. My NVidia 550M (i think) works like a boss with compiz and games like MW2 or 3, or Age of Empires, and I run Photshop and Autocad (any edition) like a champ. Not to mention having 6 virtual machines at once eating (as in destroying) my CPU, yet still not doing a lot of damage to my GPU. That's WITH the drivers from NVidia themselves on Ubuntu and ArchBang (not virtualized).

The only thing that tells me they are proprietary is that modifying the code is a no-no for redistribution. Regardless, that's a TON of support from both, though ATI is severely lagging behind NVidia I believe. A buddy of mine had a 5xxx series from '10 I believe under Ubuntu with their own drivers - playing the new(ish) Hitman game in widows, and can't really do a ton with ubuntu in the game (though can play modern warefare like a champ). Maybe Mr. Torvalds got to them NVidia guys though... hmmm...

Tresquel, even then, is not a distro I would touch for replacement. Nor would any of the Free-only distors (on linux, solaris, BSD, anything unix-like or on a computer at all).

I agree with the need for more support from the manufacturer, truly. But there is a LOT right now, especially from NVidia. If linux gaming were bigger, maybe it'd be true. Still, Windows will be for any foreseeable future the king here. I play anything as well with my ubuntu ans my mac - and that's WITH proprietary drivers.

I'm not telling the FSF to screw themselves, but until GNU comes out with their own distro and not just the HURD kernel - then suck it. Propreitary will ALWAYS be there, open or not. And like today's graphics in linux, proprietary drivers and such will be better.

So no trisquel for me. On a VM it works great, on an actual hard drive, not so much.
    Last edited by JiuJitsu500; February 16th, 2013 at 06:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast