Thread: bootable USB isn't bootable

Beans

bootable USB isn't bootable

I've followed the instructions on the Ubuntu website and used the Pendrive software to create a bootable 12.04LTS USB stick but when I try to boot from it my PC says "missing operating system" and continues right into windows. I've tried this on both an ACER netbook and a Dell D630. Both say the say thing. Both appear to recognize the USB drive in the BIOS. I've hit F12 for the one time boot menu and chosen the flash drive but still both PCs say "missing OS". I've also tried the LinuxLive USB creator software and i get the same thing. What am i doing wrong?

Beans

Re: bootable USB isn't bootable

I think some file is correpted in your usb stick try to fix it and try

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspro View Post
    I think some file is correpted in your usb stick try to fix it and try
    Unlikely, as the USB has been re-built with both Pendrive and LinuxLive USB creator.

Is the USB stick completely clean without built-in software? The U3 drives were infamous for this, for example.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Yes I'm quite sure any built in software has been removed from the drive as it was already a bootable Linux drive when it was given to me (different distro) which i wiped out and used for storage for a while before trying to do this. It's an 8GB Kingston DT101. So far I've only tried Ubuntu, none of the others. I saw in another thread that someone with the same problem was told to try typing sudo syslinux -sf /dev/your_device. I've tried looking in the /dev folder of my PC but i can't identify the "your_device" that would be the flashdrive. When i stick the USB drive into my PC it shows up as PENDRIVE so I found it in /media/PENDRIVE. I tried doing the sudo syslinx command again but it just gave me an error saying "this is a directory" or something like that. I have looked in the /boot folder of my Dell which is currently running Ubuntu 12.04LTS and found lots of stuff in there. I looked in the /boot/grub folder of the USB drive and found only one file loopback.cfg. I'm wondering if that could be the problem. I'm still a Linux noob but I've been dealing with Windows and PCs long enough to think that this folder is surprisingly empty.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks to me like a bad burn. What software did you use to burn ubuntu.iso to the USB? from what OS?

This may seem a bit far fetched but recently I had this issue where I could not successfully burn .iso to the USB... FIXPARTS solved it for me. It just turned out to be mixed up partition table on USB.
    Reformat the USB, preferably from Windows PC and try again.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Last time I got into this subject it turned out that using a different flash drive solved the problem, even though it checked out good.

You could also try UnetBootin, see if it yields any better results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by silverwing39 View Post
    I've followed the instructions on the Ubuntu website and used the Pendrive software to create a bootable 12.04LTS USB stick but when I try to boot from it my PC says "missing operating system" and continues right into windows. I've tried this on both an ACER netbook and a Dell D630. Both say the say thing. Both appear to recognize the USB drive in the BIOS. I've hit F12 for the one time boot menu and chosen the flash drive but still both PCs say "missing OS". I've also tried the LinuxLive USB creator software and i get the same thing. What am i doing wrong?
    Good Afternoon

When you mentioned that you used "Pendrive software", are you referring to Start Up Disk Creator in your Ubuntu 12.04 OS on your Dell PC?

Beans
    Hidden!

On my computer, bootable USBs made with UNetbootin work on USB 2.0 ports, but don't on USB 3.0.

Beans

Not sure if this will help, but the first time I tried installing with a bootable USB stick I had the same error message. It turns out my download was corrupt, I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 again, used the Pendrive to make it bootable, and then it worked.