Thread: SM Player doesn't launch

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

SM Player doesn't launch

I've tried launching it 3 different ways and it won't start. I right-click a music file and select "open with SM Player" and nothing happens. I then try to launch SM Player from the menu and nothing happens. Out of curiosity I tried to launch it from a terminal and it gives the following:

Code:
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configuration s from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
    This is SMPlayer v. 0.8.3 running on Linux
    It pauses for about 2-3 seconds, nothing happens, then I get my shell prompt back, ready for my next command. No other errors, nothing happens.

Is it refusing to start over a deprecated font? I entered "echo $#" and it returns a 0.

I uninstalled and reinstalled both mplayer and smplayer and nothing has changed.

Any ideas on what I can do next? Should I file a bug report against SMPlayer?
    Last edited by scottbomb; May 11th, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: SM Player doesn't launch

Try deleting the hidden folder in ~/.mplayer
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Mind you SMPlayer config would usually be in $HOME.config/smplayer/smplayer.ini. Before delving too deeply into config files perhaps try to use the latest version from the PPA of the SMPlayer developer. This single command should do this:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer && \
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install smplayer smtube
    If the problem persists try running MPlayer from the cmmandline and see if that is running ok...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks guys! I did both suggestions. It didn't fix it right away but it did work again after a reboot.