Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

Beans

I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

Good morning/afternoon/evening to every one.

Still I am an absolute beginner thought I did manage by now to use Ubuntu "nearly" as fluently as Windows (I have nothing anymore that smells Microsoft in my PC, enough was enough) but still remain some..."gaps"...

When I input a DVD film into the drive nothing happens. I do open VLC or Movie Player I can't see in the menu any command to play the DVD in the drive.

Actually, I have not a clue about how to see at once all the drives in my computer (CD-rom drive, C:/, etc.).

How can I play the DVD in the drive with Ubuntu and how to see all the details of my PC with Ubuntu?

With thanks in advance for your kindess and apologizing for my stupidity,

viriatovigo
    (Tino)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

You may have to enable Restricted Extras in Software Center (see screenshot). You should if you have these be able to open VLC or Totem and watch a DVD. It is possible to set one of these as the default player and it will open automatically when you put a DVD in (I think it is in Preferred Software (not sure as I use Cinnamon DE -in mine it is in Menu/Preferences/Details/Default Applications))
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperFreak; March 14th, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If the above post doesn't work, try running this:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    Kopkins

Beans
    Distro

ubuntu-restricted-extras provides a lot of codecs for playing many audio/video files.
    It is something you will want, but it does not play encrypted DVDs.

You need libdvdcss2 and w64codecs/w32codecs.

This link explains how to install them:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Last edited by JRV; March 15th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Distro

I believe the Restricted Extras does in fact provide for playing back DVDs (see attachment)

edit: JVR you are right as libdvdcss2 is not installed with restricted extras. But I don't seem to have it on my computer and am able to watch DVDs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperFreak; March 14th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans

Ta SuperFreak, Kopkins and JRV

What JRV said was right, installing Restricted Extras doesn't play the DVD.

I did all what all of you said and the solo improvement after I did what JRV said, is that now the CD drive flashes for some time but still the CD doesn't play at all, not with VCL, not with Movie Player.

And still remains that I don't know how to see the drives in my PC as I used to do in Windows, so I can not explore the contents of the CD.

Beans

Right... Patience is not one of my virtues... So I did resolve this issue in my way.

I did borrow a laptop with Windows from a neighbour, I did put the DVD on the laptop (that did play straightaway), I did plug a USB flash memory stick, I did copy the DVD files in the USB stick, I did put the stick in my PC and copy the DVD files into Home>Videos>The Interpreter, I did open VLC and chose to play from the file and did play.

End of the problem. I knew that Linux is not customer friendly and never was intended to, but this is just riciculous...

Anyway, problem resolved.

All the best to everyone.

viriatovigo

Beans
    Distro

I have had no problems playing DVDs or CDs in Ubuntu. was this a home made disc?

Beans
    Distro

In nautilus, the defualt file manager, you should be able to see the disk listed near the top right under the devices. You can open nautilus by pressing the windows key, typing files, then pressing enter.

First, lets find out what drive your disk is in.
    Enter the following in the terminal, but make sure you have the disk inserted.
    Code:
    df
    The output on my computer has several lines like this
    Code:
    /dev/sr0          509952   509952         0 100% /media/ARCH_201302
    That line is my dvd drive. /dev/sr0 is my drive.

Like mine, you should have the 100% used and it will most likely be in /media/NAMEofDISK

If you can't figure out what disk drive is yours post the info back here.

Now try opening the disk from VLC. Open VLC, then go to the menu > media > open disk...
    Or press ctrl + D while in vlc.

There will be a window that opens. There will also be a box for Disc device. Try putting your drive in there. So for me it would be /dev/sr0. Or try choosing from the dropdown.

Good luck,

Kopkins

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by viriatovigo View Post
    Right... Patience is not one of my virtues... So I did resolve this issue in my way.

I did borrow a laptop with Windows from a neighbour, I did put the DVD on the laptop (that did play straightaway), I did plug a USB flash memory stick, I did copy the DVD files in the USB stick, I did put the stick in my PC and copy the DVD files into Home>Videos>The Interpreter, I did open VLC and chose to play from the file and did play.

End of the problem. I knew that Linux is not customer friendly and never was intended to, but this is just riciculous...

Anyway, problem resolved.

All the best to everyone.

viriatovigo
    It's not that linux as that much less user friendly than windows. If you ever install windows onto a computer that has no operating system you'll find it's much easier to install linux and make it work. When windows comes preconfigured on a computer everthing is already set to work so it seems a lot easier. In linux or Ubuntu here, you have to install the software that lets you play dvd's. Once you have that you have to tell the program how to find the dvd. Like I described above.

Best of luck with Ubuntu and Linux.

Kopkins

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast