Re: I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

It is OK arpanaut... I did find the solution:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/RippingDVDs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

While what i posted earlier is true, you should be able to get dvd's to play through the tips in this thread.
    And now that you have upgraded and your disc's are visible things may be better now take a look here and see if you have all this installed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/ubuntu...estricted.html

If so inclined you could buy this software to just get 'er done...
    https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/fluendo-dvd/

Hope this helps, I was just pointing out why it seems to work so seamlessly on other OS.
    It can be done on Ubuntu and Linux.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Ta MoebusNet

Too many things to do just to play a film. I think that Linux is too much for my expertice. After upgrading to 12.10 I am having a mountain of problems (and I can see in the Forum that I am not the only one with problems after upgrading to 12.10). It is hapening to me the same that did happen with Red Hat and in the end I gave up.

I believe that I should stick to Apple Mountain Lion (and Apple now is too OpenSource) because I have not the intelligence level required by Linux, I am afraid...

Thank you anyway for your willingness to help.

Al the best.

Tino

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kopkins View Post
    If the above post doesn't work, try running this:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    Kopkins
    I downloaded the restricted drivers, well the program caption kept blinking and poping up with errors, basically just copied/pasted what you said into the terminal and bam... I'm watching a movie.

So, why doesn't this work by default? DVDs are from the 90s, codecs/free codecs should already exist...

Beans

Hi Rukiri.

The answers is in the previous arpanet post. People is running a business for profit not for charity. If everybody can jamp the encryptions nobody would buy a new item, it wiill download it from the net and the business will end going bankrupted.

Linux is free for a good reason, we do not pay a dime for anything and Linux t is second to none; if Linux set to play DVD without restrictions, it must pay its part of the royalties and, then, could not be free.

I don't think that to stop of being an OpenSource just because someone want to play DVDs in his/her PC is total nonsense. You always can buy an apps that you can find in the Sofware Centre. They are pretty cheap, most of the times at ridiculous price. You could call the Software Centre the Linus' Ebuy.

Well... It is my personal opinion what means nothing, of course, anyway.

Kind regards.

Tino
    Last edited by viriatovigo; March 17th, 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    I downloaded the restricted drivers, well the program caption kept blinking and poping up with errors, basically just copied/pasted what you said into the terminal and bam... I'm watching a movie.

So, why doesn't this work by default? DVDs are from the 90s, codecs/free codecs should already exist...

Depending on your locale, installing that software via the command I posted is illegal. Installing it by default would limit the distribution possibilities of Ubuntu.

That command installs the ability to play encrypted DVD's, so my guess is that it's a legal issue. Copyright's last a long time, so even the 90s are protected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi just want to say, I'm no tecchie expert. But I read this thread, installed the Ubuntu Restricted software, and also libdvdread4 command at the Terminal. It worked perfectly and now I can watch my movie. Thanks for the excellent help!
    rory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks. Had the same problem. Downloaded the restricted extras, but did not realize I also had to run an install. Anyway, I'm good to go now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

i think the only answer to that is do update ubuntu weekly.. or always check for updates..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kopkins View Post
    In nautilus, the defualt file manager, you should be able to see the disk listed near the top right under the devices. You can open nautilus by pressing the windows key, typing files, then pressing enter.

First, lets find out what drive your disk is in.
    Enter the following in the terminal, but make sure you have the disk inserted.
    Code:
    df
    The output on my computer has several lines like this
    Code:
    /dev/sr0          509952   509952         0 100% /media/ARCH_201302
    That line is my dvd drive. /dev/sr0 is my drive.

Like mine, you should have the 100% used and it will most likely be in /media/NAMEofDISK

If you can't figure out what disk drive is yours post the info back here.

Now try opening the disk from VLC. Open VLC, then go to the menu > media > open disk...
    Or press ctrl + D while in vlc.

There will be a window that opens. There will also be a box for Disc device. Try putting your drive in there. So for me it would be /dev/sr0. Or try choosing from the dropdown.

Good luck,

Kopkins
    Hi, I've the same problem ,better with encrypted dvd, but when I try to play by VLC nothing happen after a while VLC is closing without any message
    This is the dvd
    /dev/sr0 7660760 7660760 0 100% /media/PLS0EIW1
    Is there anything else that I can do ?
    Thank you

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234