Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

Good morning/afternoon/evening to every one.

Still I am an absolute beginner thought I did manage by now to use Ubuntu "nearly" as fluently as Windows (I have nothing anymore that smells Microsoft in my PC, enough was enough) but still remain some..."gaps"...

When I input a DVD film into the drive nothing happens. I do open VLC or Movie Player I can't see in the menu any command to play the DVD in the drive.

Actually, I have not a clue about how to see at once all the drives in my computer (CD-rom drive, C:/, etc.).

How can I play the DVD in the drive with Ubuntu and how to see all the details of my PC with Ubuntu?

With thanks in advance for your kindess and apologizing for my stupidity,

viriatovigo
    (Tino)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I can't play a DVD film in Ubuntu

You may have to enable Restricted Extras in Software Center (see screenshot). You should if you have these be able to open VLC or Totem and watch a DVD. It is possible to set one of these as the default player and it will open automatically when you put a DVD in (I think it is in Preferred Software (not sure as I use Cinnamon DE -in mine it is in Menu/Preferences/Details/Default Applications))
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperFreak; March 14th, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ubuntu-restricted-extras provides a lot of codecs for playing many audio/video files.
    It is something you will want, but it does not play encrypted DVDs.

You need libdvdcss2 and w64codecs/w32codecs.

This link explains how to install them:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Last edited by JRV; March 15th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I believe the Restricted Extras does in fact provide for playing back DVDs (see attachment)

edit: JVR you are right as libdvdcss2 is not installed with restricted extras. But I don't seem to have it on my computer and am able to watch DVDs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperFreak; March 14th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans

Ta SuperFreak, Kopkins and JRV

What JRV said was right, installing Restricted Extras doesn't play the DVD.

I did all what all of you said and the solo improvement after I did what JRV said, is that now the CD drive flashes for some time but still the CD doesn't play at all, not with VCL, not with Movie Player.

And still remains that I don't know how to see the drives in my PC as I used to do in Windows, so I can not explore the contents of the CD.

Beans

Right... Patience is not one of my virtues... So I did resolve this issue in my way.

I did borrow a laptop with Windows from a neighbour, I did put the DVD on the laptop (that did play straightaway), I did plug a USB flash memory stick, I did copy the DVD files in the USB stick, I did put the stick in my PC and copy the DVD files into Home>Videos>The Interpreter, I did open VLC and chose to play from the file and did play.

End of the problem. I knew that Linux is not customer friendly and never was intended to, but this is just riciculous...

Anyway, problem resolved.

All the best to everyone.

viriatovigo

Beans
    Distro

If the above post doesn't work, try running this:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    Kopkins

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kopkins View Post
    If the above post doesn't work, try running this:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    Kopkins
    I downloaded the restricted drivers, well the program caption kept blinking and poping up with errors, basically just copied/pasted what you said into the terminal and bam... I'm watching a movie.

So, why doesn't this work by default? DVDs are from the 90s, codecs/free codecs should already exist...

Beans

Hi Rukiri.

The answers is in the previous arpanet post. People is running a business for profit not for charity. If everybody can jamp the encryptions nobody would buy a new item, it wiill download it from the net and the business will end going bankrupted.

Linux is free for a good reason, we do not pay a dime for anything and Linux t is second to none; if Linux set to play DVD without restrictions, it must pay its part of the royalties and, then, could not be free.

I don't think that to stop of being an OpenSource just because someone want to play DVDs in his/her PC is total nonsense. You always can buy an apps that you can find in the Sofware Centre. They are pretty cheap, most of the times at ridiculous price. You could call the Software Centre the Linus' Ebuy.

Well... It is my personal opinion what means nothing, of course, anyway.

Kind regards.

Tino
    Last edited by viriatovigo; March 17th, 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    I downloaded the restricted drivers, well the program caption kept blinking and poping up with errors, basically just copied/pasted what you said into the terminal and bam... I'm watching a movie.

So, why doesn't this work by default? DVDs are from the 90s, codecs/free codecs should already exist...

Depending on your locale, installing that software via the command I posted is illegal. Installing it by default would limit the distribution possibilities of Ubuntu.

That command installs the ability to play encrypted DVD's, so my guess is that it's a legal issue. Copyright's last a long time, so even the 90s are protected.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast