Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNS Resolving Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

DNS Resolving Issues

I have a DNS/DHCP server in my house running Ubuntu Server 12.04. It handles name resolution for all my internal computers. I know it's overkill, but I am studying for Linux certifications so it's important to me that I learn this stuff.

Anyway, it's been working perfectly fine up until about four days ago. Then, it started not resolving almost any outside web sites. I kept getting redirected to the OpenDNS "website unavailable" page. So, I got frustrated and removed OpenDNS from the forwarding and replaced it with Google's DNS servers. I thought that would fix it, but today it's acting up again, not resolving almost anything. This time, however, I'm getting Google's error page and not the OpenDNS error page. I think that two different DNS servers having trouble would be a strange coincidence. With the Google DNS error page, if I refresh my browser, the requested site will load fine.

No changes have been made to my DNS server recently other than removing OpenDNS, so maybe it is the outside DNS servers that are the problem.

Named.conf:
    Code:
    // This is the primary configuration file for the BIND DNS server named.
    //
    // Please read /usr/share/doc/bind9/README.Debian.gz for information on the 
    // structure of BIND configuration files in Debian, *BEFORE* you customize 
    // this configuration file.
    //
    // If you are just adding zones, please do that in /etc/bind/named.conf.local

include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
    include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";
    include "/etc/bind/named.conf.default-zones";
    named.conf.options:
    Code:
    options {
    	directory "/var/cache/bind";

// If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
    	// to talk to, you may need to fix the firewall to allow multiple
    	// ports to talk.  See http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/800113

// If your ISP provided one or more IP addresses for stable 
    	// nameservers, you probably want to use them as forwarders.  
    	// Uncomment the following block, and insert the addresses replacing 
    	// the all-0's placeholder.

forwarders {
    		8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4;
    	};

recursion yes;

//========================================================================
    	// If BIND logs error messages about the root key being expired,
    	// you will need to update your keys.  See https://www.isc.org/bind-keys
    	//========================================================================
    	dnssec-validation auto;

auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
    	listen-on-v6 { any; };
    };
    net.localnet:
    Code:
    ;
    ; dns zone for for localnet
    ;

$TTL 1D

; any time you make a change to the domain, bump the
    ; "serial" setting below. the format is easy:
    ; YYYYMMDDI, with the I being an iterator in case you
    ; make more than one change during any one day

@ IN SOA localnet. hostmaster.localnet. (

201301281 ; serial

8H ; refresh
    4H ; retry
    4W ; expire
    1D ) ; minimum
    IN A 172.16.254.10
    ;
    @ IN NS pluto.localnet.
    ceres	        IN      A       172.16.254.11
    daphne		IN	A	172.16.254.12
    eris		IN	A	172.16.254.14
    phoebe          IN      A       172.16.254.13
    pluto		IN	A	172.16.254.10

; bla           IN      CNAME   pluto ; Example of a CNAME record, if necessary
    ; www           IN      A       172.16.254.10 ; Example of a www record
    revp.172.16.254:
    Code:
    ;
    ; reverse pointers for 172.16.254.0 subnet
    ;
    $TTL 1D
    @ IN SOA pluto.localnet. hostmaster.localnet. (
    201301281 ; serial
    28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    14400 ; retry (4 hours)
    2419200 ; expire (4 weeks)
    86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    )
    ;
    @ NS pluto.localnet.
    10      PTR     pluto.localnet.
    11      PTR     ceres.localnet.
    12      PTR     daphne.localnet.
    13      PTR     phoebe.localnet.
    14	PTR	eris.localnet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DNS Resolving Issues

Don't use a forwarder. There's no reason to do so if you have a fully-functioning BIND9 server already. It will resolve names outside your domain just as well as Google does.

The only time I use forwarding is when I want to resolve names against my clients' internal DNS servers that I can see over a VPN tunnel. In those cases I'll pass queries for those domains over the tunnel to the client's internal server.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; March 14th, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Don't use a forwarder. There's no reason to do so if you have a fully-functioning BIND9 server already. It will resolve names outside your domain just as well as Google does.

The only time I use forwarding is when I want to resolve names against my clients' internal DNS servers that I can see over a VPN tunnel. In those cases I'll pass queries for those domains over the tunnel to the client's internal server.
    Doesn't disabling that disable caching? Also, if I disable forwarding, how does it know which outside DNS server to use?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No, it doesn't disable caching. The server in my office here caches just fine.

As for your other question, we need to start with how DNS works. Suppose I ask my server to resolve host.example.com. The server first contacts one of the seventeen "root" nameservers that are authoritative for the com domain and asks what servers are authoritative for the example.com domain. Every DNS installation includes a zone file for the root servers. Since I use CentOS for servers, I can't tell you which file that is in Ubuntu, but you should find it in the same directory as the other zone files.

A root server will then return the IP addresses of the authoritative servers for example.com. Then my server asks one of those for the address associated with host.example.com.

In essence, the server in my office is no different than one of Google's or any other nameserver on the Internet.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; March 14th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I have a bunch of forwards I use simply to speed up the browser on client machines.

Forwards are not strictly needed, BIND9 can act as a cache server and it will find what it needs automatically from hints etc that come with the default install.

I found Webmin to be expedient to managing BIND
    SERVER: Azure datacenters, Hyper-V

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thank you for your assistance, I really appreciate it. I didn't know that forwarding wasn't necessary, that's good to know. I think this is solved, because even though I haven't gotten around to changing anything, the problem seems to have resolved itself. Maybe Google's DNS servers were having issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have been studying up lately on this DNS topic because I wanted to speed up my Internet and also to look for an online place that filters out or blocks domains and host names. One of the things I read was that there are events when a DNS service becomes degraded or unavailable. If that happens, it may be good for you to have a ready backup to quickly take charge of DNS until things come back to normal at your preferred DNS service. I am now learning about nslookup and iptables and related topics on my Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS in support of blocking those pesky ad servers I get all the time. I am also considering a firewall option but I do not know enough yet how to set up a blacklist.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ac5jw View Post
    I have been studying up lately on this DNS topic because I wanted to speed up my Internet and also to look for an online place that filters out or blocks domains and host names. One of the things I read was that there are events when a DNS service becomes degraded or unavailable. If that happens, it may be good for you to have a ready backup to quickly take charge of DNS until things come back to normal at your preferred DNS service. I am now learning about nslookup and iptables and related topics on my Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS in support of blocking those pesky ad servers I get all the time. I am also considering a firewall option but I do not know enough yet how to set up a blacklist.
    In my situation, I had OpenDNS set up in my DNS server, and then my fallback was my router which contained Google as the DNS. In theory, it should have used OpenDNS and then Google if there was a problem. However, my DNS server just wouldn't fall back. It would try OpenDNS and if it didn't find what it needed, it would fail out and never fall back. I still don't understand why it wouldn't fall back.

In the case of Google failing as well, I notice that it would also fail if I am running a backup via Crashplan. While a backup is in progress, DNS will rarely resolve and I'll get Google's 404 page. I'm perplexed why I would get Google's 404 page if my server itself was busy.

So I have more to learn.

Beans
    Distro

So do I. I am happy to report that I abandoned Linux Mint OS due to a bug where its Network Manager would not update my new DNS choices. I gave up after trying for several hours, and then out of frustration I installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and wiped out the old data. Apparently the Linux Mint was using a backup DNS file to restore the original setting and I did not know enough to fix it in terminal or in GUI Network Manager. I learned to set the DNS preferences immediately upon loading the live DVD and I set a connection name to follow the data through the installation. After setting DNS using the connection settings and verifying them in the Network Manager option, I then chose to Install from DVD. After reboot, the data I had placed on the RAM actually made it into the permanent installation with the connection name and all! It was great to resolve the issue because my newest choice for DNS had been showing good connection speeds within about a half a day of choosing it.

Beans
    Distro

Hi also take a look at a long post I made about installing DHCP/DNS hope thats helps.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2109373
    Try not to be a man of success but be a man of value
    USE FUL LINKS
    Ubuntu Server setup guide
    setting up a DNS Server on Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast