Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu Gnome daily images now available.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Gnome daily images now available.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    @ kansasnoob

Do you know if there will be any testing of upgrading using the gnome3 ppa ?

It would be quite relevant for those of us who would like a Gnome 3.8 installation IMO.

Cheers
    There have been recent questions about the GNOME3 PPA on the mailing list and my personal opinion is that one should follow the instructions listed with the PPA, namely:

Before upgrading your system to a new Ubuntu release (i.e. from Ubuntu 11.10 to 13.04), you should probably run ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 first.
    And:

=== Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring) ===
    GNOME 3.8 that won't make it into the normal Ubuntu 13.04 repositories. Other parts of GNOME 3.8 are available in the https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+...gnome3-staging PPA but beware that many of those components have known regressions from their GNOME 3.6 versions.
    AFAIK the GNOME 3.8 RC was only released yesterday and final is not due for another week or so, meaning that it's far too young and immature to expect it to be stable

I do know that many of the extensions used with 3.6 do not yet work with 3.8, in fact some of the old 3.4 extensions still haven't been properly updated to work with 3.6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    There have been recent questions about the GNOME3 PPA on the mailing list and my personal opinion is that one should follow the instructions listed with the PPA, namely:

And:

AFAIK the GNOME 3.8 RC was only released yesterday and final is not due for another week or so, meaning that it's far too young and immature to expect it to be stable

I do know that many of the extensions used with 3.6 do not yet work with 3.8, in fact some of the old 3.4 extensions still haven't been properly updated to work with 3.6
    There is a separate thread about extensions going on - other than 3.4 extensions abandoned by their developers, most all of the 3.4 ones work on 3.6. Already many (most all of the ones I use) of the 3.6 extensions work on 3.8 with a tweak to their metadata.json files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@ kansasnoob

Yeah I know " I have been warned " and all that, but I don't mind breakage as long as I have a chance to recover

As for the extensions, they'll only work if their author will port them to the next Gnome version.
    There has been some talk on having "Automatic Extension Updates" but I think thats a work still in progress

BTW I stumbled over this, "How to fix the broken GDM in GNOME 3.8 Beta" on worldofgnome.
    Maybe thats the bug I was referring to earlier on this thread ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Anyone see this:

GNOME 3.8 Release Candidate Now Available

As I have a spare partition, I am downloadingt the ISO from here:
    (off of the mailing list on the first link)

GNOME 3.7.92 Release Candidate!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Anyone see this:

GNOME 3.8 Release Candidate Now Available

As I have a spare partition, I am downloadingt the ISO from here:
    (off of the mailing list on the first link)

GNOME 3.7.92 Release Candidate!
    I tried to install from that iso and it would not work. Said it got an error and I had to login again..... I had to press reset and remove the DVD,

Guess I'll wait until March 27th for the 3.8 stable release. https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123