Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 Freezes On Startup - May Be Wifi Drivers (?)

Threaded View

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 Freezes On Startup - May Be Wifi Drivers (?)

Hi guys,

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed. I've searched and searched but haven't been able to find the right answer.

This is my second time installing Ubuntu,the first time I installed it as a test drive on an eMachine I no longer have. Now I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre K430 running Win7. Last night I installed Ubuntu 12.10 with a bootable USB stick. The installation went fine and it looked beautiful. I tried to install updates but it wasn't moving, so I x'd out of that and switched to Windows, then shut off the computer.

This morning I turned it on, got the GRUB menu nicely (the first time I tried I had a heck of a time with that), selected Ubuntu and once it started up and showed the password field for me to enter my password it froze. The mouse doesn't work neither does the keyboard. Tried REISUB, tried Ctrl + Alt + F1 but nothing happens, the keyboard doesn't seem to respond at all. I unplugged and plugged the USB receiver for the mouse/keyboard but that didn't help, they work fine when booting Windows. I did notice that it disconnected from the Wifi even though I had configured that last night. I found a thread that said that may be wifi drivers are messed up, they suggested to open terminal but I can get it to appear since the keyboard seems to be completely unresponsive.

What can I do at this point? I don't know if it's possible to just install Ubuntu again, but what would be the process if at this moment I already have Windows and Ubuntu installed alongside each other.

Any insight you can give, I'll really appreciate it. If you need more info from me please let me know. Thank you again.
    Last edited by nicraz; March 16th, 2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Solved