Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help in setting up new desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Kylin 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Help in setting up new desktop

Thanks for the help, mastablasta.

I posted a thread quite so e time ago regarding the issue of sound) and since then I have tolerated the status quo I think the thread was I was thinking about the LTS version, thinking being that five years of guaranteed support for that version is a reasonable span to have everything working optimally.

Regards
    Alan

Beans
    Distro

Well that was a disaster!

The USB stick seemed to start off OK, once I had selected the usb in the bios, but after a bit of a start it just stalled. Tried rebooting a couple of times, all to no avail.

So I decided to load windows xp from my oriiginal disc, and that went on fine. Took a long while but it is up and running. So there's nowt wrong with the new pc. Couple of wee problems but nothing life-threatening.

So loaded chrome ok (using my existing Google account), and went off to ubuntu.org to see what I could do. I decided it might be simpler to download the windows/ubuntu version direct to the new PC with windows as 1st boot-up option. Seemed to be OK, but when I rebooted and selected to load ubuntu, it started off again seemingly OK, but once again it stalled on the screen "loading Ubuntu for first time" and it went off to sleep again.

So, I think my best option might just be to download the full CD version of Ubuntu (the new pc has a dvd writer on it) and hopefully that might work. It's a shame really that the previous attempt hadn't worked as I could have elected the 64 bit version, but the only option for CD / DVD disc creation is the 32 bit, it seems.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Alan
    Last edited by harfin; March 22nd, 2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: clarifying couple of words

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    The USB stick seemed to start off OK, once I had selected the usb in the bios, but after a bit of a start it just stalled. Tried rebooting a couple of times, all to no avail.
    In other words you never got any menu or something like that? which means something is likely wrong with the downloaded image. have you checked it's md5sum? anothe roption is that USB stick is not bootable or simply not recognised by computer. I bough a nice mini USB with 16 Gb,, resistant to dust and water, goes nicely on keychain. but the darn thing won't boot. no matter what. well actualyl if i use plop boot manager and floppy i can make it boot but it does not boot by itself like other USB sticks i have.

So loaded chrome ok (using my existing Google account), and went off to ubuntu.org to see what I could do. I decided it might be simpler to download the windows/ubuntu version direct to the new PC with windows as 1st boot-up option. Seemed to be OK, but when I rebooted and selected to load ubuntu, it started off again seemingly OK, but once again it stalled on the screen "loading Ubuntu for first time" and it went off to sleep again.
    you may need to add one of the boot options: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

try nomodeset

So, I think my best option might just be to download the full CD version of Ubuntu (the new pc has a dvd writer on it) and hopefully that might work. It's a shame really that the previous attempt hadn't worked as I could have elected the 64 bit version, but the only option for CD / DVD disc creation is the 32 bit, it seems.
    huh? not sure what you mean. an image is an image. there are 32 bit and 64 bit images. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

you can use both. but 12.10 needs a DVD i believe if that is what you mean.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    In other words you never got any menu or something like that? which means something is likely wrong with the downloaded image. have you checked it's md5sum? another option is that USB stick is not bootable or simply not recognised by computer. I bough a nice mini USB with 16 Gb,, resistant to dust and water, goes nicely on keychain. but the darn thing won't boot. no matter what. well actualyl if i use plop boot manager and floppy i can make it boot but it does not boot by itself like other USB sticks i have.
    Strangely enough mine is 16 Gb but I think mit must be bootable, as when the PC looked the usb stick it did start a Ubunto screen. It got as far as showing "Ubuntu" on the screen, but that was it. Must admit I didn't really understand the msdsum bit; silly me. So the image could have been flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    huh? not sure what you mean. an image is an image. there are 32 bit and 64 bit images. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop you can use both. but 12.10 needs a DVD i believe if that is what you mean.
    I saw somewhere that on recall that it was the fact that I had to have a DVD writer to get the 64 bit option, and as I only have a CD writer on my old Dell, I could only get it via the USB stick. Now that I've got the new PC running Windows I should be able to download the file on the new one and burn it onto DVD. Haven't tried the burn part of the DVD drive yet though !

I'll report how I got on!

Thanks again for your patience !

Alan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    I'll report how I got on! Thanks again for your patience ! Alan
    Some progress!

I couldn't get the pc to boot from the DVD - it just reverted to Windows. So I put the DVD in once the PC was actually in Windows. And at that Ubuntu started up. Went through an install process and then asked for my log on name and password. That caused it to start "Running Ubuntu for first time". Then it hung again!

This time I did forced a reboot, and a screen flipped up giving me an option to run Ubuntu in "safe mode. That worked, and after heaps of lines of guff scrolled down, I got to a familiar Ubunto screen.

So I could then do a check for updates and got over 200 Mg of updates! So, did that, and tried to reboot.

Again it won't just run through from the Windows or Ubuntu option screen to Ubuntu when I select it. Tried a cold boot also and that doesnt achieve anything.

So at the moment my method is
    • boot,
    • select Ubuntu at option screen
    • let it get to a stall point
    • turn the pc off
    • switch on again
    • select 'safe' mode
    • get a reasonably normal ubuntu set up.

So, any suggestions anyone?

Alan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you have the integrated graphics and the Nvidia card, you might want to look into Bumblebee.
    or disable the integrated and install the proper graphics driver for your card.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    If you have the integrated graphics and the Nvidia card, you might want to look into Bumblebee.
    or disable the integrated and install the proper graphics driver for your card.
    Now I'm totally lost!
    Alan

Beans
    Distro

I'm pleased to say, that I think (hope?) that I now have a functioning PC. I searched the forum again, using the key words Vesa, and found a solved thread regarding my graphics card. On that thread the user was prompted to ensure that the old driver was removed and that the Ubuntu one be installed. Following that advice I carried out the recommended terminal commands and it seems to have worked.

The last couple of times I rebooted, I got through to my desktop without having to go through the 'safe' mode, so I'm hoping that all will now be well.

My thanks to those who have offered advice and help; you're all stars!

Regards
    Alan

Beans
    Distro

New pc working OK. No problems with booting up now, but still have couple of things to improve:
    1. I need to change the order of boot so that Ubuntu is the first option at the initial screen, rather than Windows XP as it is at the moment. Anyone tell me how I do this?
    2. At some stage, If I would like to have the system just booting up entirely; is there a manual or 'how to do page' or something similar that shows one how to do it?

Thanks again everyone, am almost there!

Alan
    Last edited by harfin; March 24th, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Removed two questions that I haver found solutions to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12