Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mayence, Germany
    Beans
    135
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    This is more like a general question than an actual problem.

    I was wondering how displaying in the Explorer on Win7 can be a lot faster than doing the same task with Nautilus on Ubuntu. Dont get me wrong i am not talking about opening up the Application - it is just when i look at my homefolder in Nautilus it always takes a second until everything is there, it looks like my machine is fetching the information displaying it on the go, while doing that in the explorer: everything is right there like it is precached or indexed. Now my Question: Where is the difference? I got a SSD in my machine so there shouldn't be any lag. Is Nautilus actually not indexing everything and has to look it up every time I open up a Folder?

    Oh...and where has that Spellchecking gone?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    germany
    Beans
    1,020
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by krustenBrot View Post
    This is more like a general question than an actual problem.

    I was wondering how displaying in the Explorer on Win7 can be a lot faster than doing the same task with Nautilus on Ubuntu. Dont get me wrong i am not talking about opening up the Application - it is just when i look at my homefolder in Nautilus it always takes a second until everything is there, it looks like my machine is fetching the information displaying it on the go, while doing that in the explorer: everything is right there like it is precached or indexed. Now my Question: Where is the difference? I got a SSD in my machine so there shouldn't be any lag. Is Nautilus actually not indexing everything and has to look it up every time I open up a Folder?

    Oh...and where has that Spellchecking gone?
    hi
    i bet i can tell you what's your problem --> it's the structure of your folder. i think you get a couple of files in one directory (right ?). if you access the folders the system have to
    lock them (unix/linux) isn't working about - ok nothing will hapen. the access is atomic. if i am wrong tell me.
    create your directories: your_home/subfolder_bla ... subfolder_blu (even structured).
    ciao
    p.s. you can speed up the performance with mount options (assumed you got a well structured partitions: e.g. own / - own /home - own /usr ... partition and so on)
    have fun
    Last edited by rnerwein; March 14th, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: forgot some hints
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mayence, Germany
    Beans
    135
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    No the structure isnt the Problem i mean in general it is a bit slower to open folders, it doesnt matter if its a folder with 2 files or 2000. Is Ubuntu Indexing the filesystem?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Beans
    120
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    I'm not a Linux expert, but I know that in Windows you have the option to Index your File System, but can't seem to remember seeing an option the last time I used Ubuntu, so it could be that Windows is Indexing the File System while Ubuntu isn't.

    Roland

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    6,991

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by krustenBrot View Post
    No the structure isnt the Problem i mean in general it is a bit slower to open folders, it doesnt matter if its a folder with 2 files or 2000. Is Ubuntu Indexing the filesystem?
    I don't think nautilus is using indexing, but I'm not sure. But I know that locate is using indexing, which makes it fast compared to for example find. But it will not find files created after the database was updated.

    See this link http://www.linfo.org/locate.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Beans
    801
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    I never understood what was up with Nautilus. Every time I click a folder, the pointer becomes an hourglass for a split second (can be longer for large directories) and there is a lag in file listing. I never see that with Thunar or PCManFM.

    So I'm with you on this one. Nautilus seems to process something every time it opens a directory.
    Last edited by LewisTM; March 14th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    6,991

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by LewisTM View Post
    I never understood what was up with Nautilus. Every time I click a folder, the pointer becomes an hourglass for a split second (can be longer for large directories) and there is a lag in file listing. I never see that with Thunar or PCManFM.

    So I'm with you on this one. Nautilus seems to process something every time it open a directory.
    That rings a bell. Nautilus has ambitions to manage the desktop unless you call it with

    Code:
    nautilus --no-desktop
    See
    Code:
    man nautilus

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Beans
    801
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    That rings a bell. Nautilus has ambitions to manage the desktop unless you call it with

    Code:
    nautilus --no-desktop
    See
    Code:
    man nautilus
    I run XFCE and Nautilus does not manage the desktop. Don't use it very often to be honest.
    Much of the touted "speed" of Thunar and PCManFM comes from quick file listing, which Nautilus has never been able to achieve, much to my bewilderment.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mayence, Germany
    Beans
    135
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by LewisTM View Post
    I never understood what was up with Nautilus. Every time I click a folder, the pointer becomes an hourglass for a split second (can be longer for large directories) and there is a lag in file listing. I never see that with Thunar or PCManFM.

    So I'm with you on this one. Nautilus seems to process something every time it opens a directory.
    That is exactly what i meant. I doubt there is a fix for it, but i am still curious why it behaves that way.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mayence, Germany
    Beans
    135
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Filesystem/Nautilus Speed

    I guess this answers it:
    Much of the touted "speed" of Thunar and PCManFM comes from quick file listing, which Nautilus has never been able to achieve, much to my bewilderment.
    Thanks LewisTM!
    Thread marked as solved.
    edit: The marked as solved function appears to be removed. It is solved anyway

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •