Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Stories: How linux has Saved you!

Windows took a vacation on boot. Didn't do the backups that I should have. Booted up LiveCD, grabbed all of my files, reinstalled Windows... then immediately installed Ubuntu 9.04 next to it. Been hooked ever since then.

"You're my hero, Tux!"
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win7 / Xubuntu 13.10 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!

Windows saved me this time

My home theatre PC (tripled boot with XP, Mint 13 XFCE, Lubuntu 12.04) just went poof.
    Rebooted it will stay for a few seconds then died again. My brother in law tell me to change the bios battery. Parted Magic still wouldn't boot. Luckily Acronis did; I restored XP, then use Parted Magic to restore Mint. Lubuntu was given up for dead because I didn't have an image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A few years ago, my PC decided to stop working (due to a power surge when the neighbours kettle blew up) New mobo, processor and PSU fixed it. Then a few months later the HDD passed away quietly in it's sleep. Bought a new HDD, but XP was factory installed on my old HDD, so didn't have an XP install disk. Nephew said he could get me a copy of Win7, but a fortnight later (after many arguments with the missus about using her computer) Win7 had still to materialise. I was looking on the internet and suddenly remembered Linux OS's Half hour later I'd downloaded Ubuntu to a USB, changed the boot order, plugged it in and "Hey Presto" suddenly I'm back on the internet. Had a play about for an hour and installed it. Only thing I don't like is the inability to play (what was) my favourite game Eve Online. (wine slows it down to a crawl and I got blasted before I could click my mouse) But a small price to pay for an excellent OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It didn't save me, but it saved my son and daughter-in-law. At the time, she had an older PC with XP on it, which was deteriorating fast (XP, that is - not the PC). No install disk, of course. My son installed Ubuntu 8.04 on it, which they ran for a couple of years. Eventually, the motherboard died, and he brought the hard drive to me so I could put it into my own Ubuntu box and get the files off it and onto their new PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I used Ubuntu to get rid of files that my old printer's installation program kept creating in the wrong location. Weirdly it only ever put files in the wrong place on W7 x64, was fine under Vista x64 and W7 x86.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The portable computer of my friend was freaking out (Windows 7). Everytime we started Windows, it would do a CheckDisk, then when on the Desktop, we had at least 1 minute before the system would get a BSOD.
    We managed to restart Windows 7, let it do the CheckDisk, but this time, not gettting to the Desktop (Otherwise, it keep getting corrupted, somehow). We instead booted with a Ubuntu LiveCD, which allowed us to save the files (Before a complete reinstall).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

some excellent storys! haha, nice to see good responses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12