Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problems installing on old laptop

Beans

Re: problems installing on old laptop

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    The Compaq will work, just watch out for the ATI. It could be trouble. As for OS, its good enough to run anything, even if some like Ubuntu with Unity might be slow.

As for the First laptop, Puppy is the best option. Puppy Linux is small, fast, easy to use, and requires little Linux knowledge to use.

Thanks! I'll give Puppy a try on the toshiba and ask for the compaq, i'll just read up and see what looks best.

Beans

which puppy should i use? There's like Slacko, Precise, Lucid etc.

Beans

Precise Puppy should be good. It's compatible with packages from Ubuntu 12.04, but unlike 12.04 the entire OS is just 166MB in size and can load itself in it's entirety into the Toshiba's 256MB ram and never need to access the hard disk ever. And when you are done on the PC and shutting it down, it will ask were you would like to save everything you have done to the OS durring the current session to say a place on the hard disk. Did I also mention all codecs, flash, and java are installed by default. At least they were the last time I used Puppy last year.

Beans

Kewl Downloading it now! I'll update on how it goes.

Beans

well still end up having a black screen. i read up a little and ubuntu doesn't support trident graphics with legacy chipsets so i'll just leave the ol toshiba runnin XP... thanks tho

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The Compaq will work, just watch out for the ATI. It could be trouble.
    The trouble refers to the fact that no closed-source drivers are available. The card will run fine with open-source drivers for normal work, but you will not be able to run 3D games and similar heavy graphics.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by billbobagwell View Post
    well still end up having a black screen. i read up a little and ubuntu doesn't support trident graphics with legacy chipsets so i'll just leave the ol toshiba runnin XP... thanks tho

did you try any of the boot options?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

you just might need to do some manual configuration.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1199881
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763964

as long as the driver is still in kernel the only things that needs to be figured out is how to boot the OS and configure it in 12.04.

are you saying that when you boot you don't even get to see grub? i mean you should be able to get to at least some basic functionality GUI or at least some text output on screen.

you might also give DSL (damn small linux) a shot if you can't get it to run with Ubutnu. it uses quite old kernel. this is not good for new maschines but a blessing for the old hardware.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Compaq will work, just watch out for the ATI. It could be trouble.
    My father has a machine very similar to that, except with an AMD CPU. The Xpress 200 works, but unacceptably slowly on 12.10 due to the low 3D support and Unity's insistence on semi-transparency.

It's possible to turn off the semi-transparency, but Unity's still a bit slow.

If you use Ubuntu 12.04 instead, you can use a 2D version of Unity. Or, alternatively, you can install 12.10 and then change desktop environment.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm running Puppy Slacko on an old pentium M laptop and it works just fine. Give it a shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12