Thread: lap top camera?

Beans

Unhappy lap top camera?

I use Ubuntu 10.04 and I haven't been able to get my camera working on my pc. I have a Acer Aspire 5742 I'm a complete beginner so I do need help so please if anyone could take the time to clue me in I would be happy and thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: lap top camera?

Hi sean neilan.

Could you post the result of this command?
    Code:
    lsusb
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

10.04 is from 2010, that very old in linux years. I'd recommend trying again with 12.10. the see if cheese can recognise the camera.

Beans

I am a complete beginner and I'm afraid to try to install 12.10. I have been told to go to Fry's electronics or Micro centre and get the disk that contains 12.10 and to do a fresh install I don't have any thing to back really to speak of maybe some pics but when I went as far to do the upgrade through the update manager it told me that I will lose some thing like 58 plug ins and if that happens my laptop wont work like it does now with no problems so this is my dilemma. So I have been trying to get advice on what to do from you pros at this Ubuntu and I'm still afraid on what to do can you give the advice that I'm seeking? and do I go and get the disk and do a fresh install and as far as my plug ins do I just go through and see what I have installed already and just re-install those plug ins? Thank you for even reading this post.