Thread: DNS in Ubuntu 12.04 and VPN

Beans

DNS in Ubuntu 12.04 and VPN

I hope you are all well. Here's my problem (I'll explain how I got here):
    I was running ubuntu 10.04, and I got Mullvad , a VPN service because it is anonymous and cheap.
    Mullvad VPN service installed perfectly on 10.04 and I have used it for about 1-2 months, without an issue.
    Finally, in January I installed Ubuntu 12.04 via upgrade from 10.04, leaving mullvad installed. Everything still worked properly.
    Recently, however, with no changes to the software (as far as I know other than Ubuntu updates, Mullvad wasn't working correctly. It would say it was connected, but without the green checkmark indicating this that was previously displayed in 12.04 and 10.04. I could still browse the internet..until about 2 days ago.
    My subscription expired, and I started up Mullvad (but without the option to block connections on failure, because I was not a subscriber). I still left Mullvad installed however. Later, I restarted my computer, and this time did not start Mullvad/VPN at all.
    I could no longer access domain names, except for by typing in IP addresses of sites. I searched via startpage, and I found a couple articles. Apparently, I was supposed to move /etc/resolvconf.
    I did this and now cannot access DNS.

Thank you in advance.

Beans

Re: Major Problem With DNS in Ubuntu 12.04 and VPN

Beans

The post you linked to, I also authored, but could not reply to you directly.
    Here's my edit and comments from there.

EDIT: I followed the post here and did this: sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/backup.resolv.conf I did this and now cannot access DNS. Thank you in advance.

Hi, Thank you for the advice. I did this and the terminal gave the following error: resolvconf:Error: /etc/resolv.conf isn't a symlink, not doing anything. Please help.

Thank you for the advice @jdthood. I followed your advice, and the terminal gave me an error: "resolvconf:Error:/etc/resolv.conf isn't a symlink, not doing anything." I think It has to do with what I did. I edited my question, because I had used the following code (which was missing from the original post): "sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/backup.resolv.conf" Thank you!

-3wheels1life

Beans

If you could help me with this after reading what I just wrote, I would really appreciate it!

-Thank you...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you on a wired connection or wireless? DHCP or static?

Beans

DHCP wireless sometimes, wired other times

Beans

Re: DNS in Ubuntu 12.04 and VPN

To restore the symbolic link at resolv.conf, do "sudo ln -nsf ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf".

Beans

I'm away from my desktop for a while, but when I'm back I'll let you know if that worked for me.
    Thank you.

Beans

It works now! Thank you for all your help!

By the way, does Mullvad still have this problem on the new version?

https://www.mullvad.net/en/news.php

https://www.mullvad.net/en/download.php

Thank you everyone!!
    Last edited by 3wheels1life; April 8th, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: question, thanking everyone