Thread: Minor nautilus problem

Beans

Minor nautilus problem

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 and gnome classic. Right after the installation I had a problem (and still do) with the upper panel. When I would click on Places>Network I get
    Code:
    Could not open location 'network://'
    No Application registered as handling this file
    I never did get an answer as to how to fix it, but now the problem seems to have spread. I have installed a few applilcations but I don't think there was anything that SHOULD have had an adverse affect on nautilus. But now, not only 'network://" doesn't work, but "file:///" and 'computer://' don't work either. In other words, the Places menu is disfunctional except for "Connect to Server", and "Recent Files". So I just want to ask this one more time -

How can I configure Ubuntu and/or nautilus so that nautilus will open those types?

Thanks,

X

Beans

Re: Minor nautilus problem

aw c'mon now. Someone must know how I can fix this.

X

Beans

Re: Minor nautilus problem

I have found one more symptom. I just tried turning on one of my external USB disk drives and when it came ready I got the same error with it. I tried turning it on because I noticed that my /media folder is empty

Unable to open a folder for Data Store 1
    No application is registered as handling his file
    The drive comes ready and this error message comes out, but then it is mounted and there is a mount point listed in my /media folder. Thre is also an icon placed on the desktop, so it looks like Ubuntu (nautilus??) is trying to open it. What the heck is going on???

I have tried re-installs of gnome, nautilus, and a couple of other things that slip my mind at the moment. I have also uninstalled them, rebooted and logged into Unity, re-installed them, logged out of Unity and back in to Gnome classic, but nothing has helped. I sure hope I don't have to do yet another install.

X