Thread: After I changed my CPU from Athlon XIII 445 to FX 8120 Ubuntu won't start.

Beans

Unhappy After I changed my CPU from Athlon XIII 445 to FX 8120 Ubuntu won't start.

Hi. Good day.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bits in my desktop computer with the following characteristics:

• AMD FX 8120 (new processor) Athlon XIII 455 (old one).
    • Motherboard GA-880GMA-USB3 which includes an onboard Radeon HD 4250. It also has been updated to the latest BIOS version(F3) and does support the FX CPU. (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3817#ov)
    • Partitioned with both Linux 12.04 and Windows 7 as OSs.
    • 16 GB RAM DDR3 Kingston
    • More than half of my OS partitions is empty, also.

Today I bought a CPU to upgrade my computer. After I installed it, Windows loaded fine. I worked for a while with it in Photoshop and Illustrator and then rebooted.

1. Ubuntu didn't start. All I saw was a bleeping cursor in the left corner of the screen for more than 10 minutes. Completely unusual.
    2. I restarted again in recovery mode. I saw strange conduct going on. I took pictures.

After showing this, it would freeze for, like 10 minutes. Then, I'd see this:

And it stays there forever.

I have already tried:

• Booting from the Ubuntu CD. (Both 12.04x32 and 12.10x64). Same thing happens and I just see a bleeping cursor in the corner after a short time.
    • Searching the Internet for a similar error. Nothing.
    • Loading both Optimal Defaults and Fail-Safe Defaults in BIOS.
    • Booting from Knoppix or Slitaz Live CDs. Same thing. It gets stuck after a short while. But I get to see a little more of what's going on. Here are some pics I took while Slitaz was trying to start:

And here, it gets definetely stuck:

Please, help me recover my Ubuntu! I both work and study and I use it much more than Windows for my important stuff. What do you think is going on? As I said, Windows works just fine. It also detects all eight cores in the Performance tab in Task Manager.
    Last edited by JamesUbnt; March 10th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: After I changed my CPU from Athlon XIII 445 to FX 8120 Ubuntu won't start.

Go onto your BIOS and do a reset to fail-safe defaults and then try again.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Thanks, dcstar. I've already tried loading both Fail-Safe Defaults and Optimal Defaults from BIOS. Is that what you mean by resetting to Fail-Safe Defaults?

Beans

I would try this:

Boot 13.04 daily from DVD/USB and see if it works
    Boot 12.10 from CD/DVD/USB and hit F6 to change boot options. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...t_Boot_Options

Beans

Thanks for your answers.

I have solved my problem. Here is what I did--and what was going on--for others who might have similar problems..

sanderj, you put me in the right track! Thanks. Heres iwhat I did in the end:

1. I disabled AMD C1E Support in BIOS
    2. I installed a more recent BIOS (F4e) from Gigabyte. (Which is labeled as a Beta, so that's why I didn't install it before.)

I searched around the internet and other people are having similar problems with Linux, Gigabyte motherboards and FX chips. They were solving the issue this way. As I said, I didn't download the most recent BIOS from Gigabyte before since it was labelled as a beta, but seems that's what works better to solve this issue. It also seemed to me that Gigabyte doesn't care about Linux users for some of the comments I read.

Thank you all of you.