Thread: Dell Latitude D830 Core 2 Duo Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Dell Latitude D830 Core 2 Duo Laptop

Looking at Buying a Dell Latitude D830 Duo Laptop on Amazon A Refurbished laptop.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-...I28DMBYABFP625
    I will Add more Memory to it, most of the Refiurb one come w/ 1 or 2 Gig of Mem. Just Wondering How well it would handle Ubuntu 12.04 /Linux Mint 14? Only thing i Can't tell is what Graphics Chipset they Have?? So Googling i found it has one 1 of 3 of these Chipsets:
    http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/latitude-d830/pd
    Video Card

• NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 140M5
      High end graphics solution specifically designed for graphically-demanding applications like 3D modeling and video-editing. Delivers scalable flexibility for investment protection.
      NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 135M6
      The NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M offers all the latest graphics technology to produce extraordinary visual effects, robust wide-aspect LCD support and compatibility with all major business applications.

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (Up to 256MB shared7)
      The GMA X3100 graphics core is an intelligent and responsive graphics engine built into the chipset that is on the motherboard. This integration provides incredible visual quality, faster graphics performance and flexible display options.

Assuming it wiil the Basic Nvidia Quadro NVS 140 or the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 at Least.
    Thanks in Advance

Beans

Re: Dell Latitude D830 Core 2 Duo Laptop

Even with the Intel IGP, the only things this laptop should struggle with are heavier gaming and fullscreen Flash. With the Nvidia cards, demanding games should be playable (but battery life won't be as good).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell Latitude D830 Core 2 Duo Laptop

Those appear to be similar specs to my Thinkpad R61 and Temujin is correct, no issues with common apps. That vintage would predate the hybrid graphics foolishness so no concern there. I have 2 GB. RAM and no swap and no issues but I usually only have 1 or 2 things running simultaneously.

Beans
    Hidden!