Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Server For the clueless

Beans

Ubuntu Server For the clueless

Howdy all I am a life long user of Windows tying to make the transition into the wonderful world of Ubuntu I have a dual Core AMD shuttle that is sitting there currently doing nothing so I figured I would setup up a Server and actually have it doing something productive.

Skillwise I am ok with the CLI have a good understanding of how to use vim, file navigation understand concepts such as piping, redirection and can can use utilities such as Grep

I basically want to setup to start with a Media server which will handle streaming, downloading of torrents, I also want to setup a ftp and share out a few samba shares with windows 7 clients. I also want to learn about basic security of the server real basic foundation level stuff I don't want to jump into the deep end and bite off more than I can chew. I preferably don't want anonymous access to the samba shares and want some kind of security in place.

Has anybody set up something similar or have access to good easy to follow tutorials I am willing to get my hands dirty just having a got a clue about where to start I usually install the O/S and then that's about as far as I go I need to break everything down into small chunks to achieve the goal.

With your help I can move onto phase two of the project which will mean I will document my journey with Ubuntu server setup a blog and give something back to people who are new to Ubuntu and are in a similar position as myself need clear easy advice.

Please somebody give me some encouragement and help me get this project off the ground if you have access to any tutorials or guides I would appreciate it

The plan is to build this server build a foundation of knowledge and give back to the community that is my dream please help me achieve this I want to educate people about Ubuntu Server

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server For the clueless

Take a look at this link and see if this may help:
    http://www.danbishop.org/2012/06/02/...-server-guide/
    I did not setup my server exactly like this because my needs were a little different but alot of it is similar to mine - see if this would meet your needs.

I posted a tutorial on the way I setup my ftp service on my server:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121931
    Hopefully it may help.
    Last edited by ranger12; March 13th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi ally_uk.

All possible. I would try to solve one problem at a time (one thread per task).

Here's a few tips:
    • You don't "have" to use a command line interface. You can set up any 'server' service on a desktop edition. If the command line slows you down, by all means install a light desktop version like Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    • Evaluate your need for streaming. Unless you have devices with limited capabilities (console game for instance), most of the time you'll need sharing instead of streaming. In case you do, take a look at MediaTomb (in the repos btw).
    • There are 2 options for network sharing: samba and nfs. Unless your Windows machines support nfs (they have to be either pro or ultimate editions), the simplest way is to install samba.
    • I recommend taking a look at transmission-dameon as your torrent client. It works on the server as a service, and can be accessed through a web interface from every computer on the house (if you want to).
    • Although ftp would be OK on a LAN, I would recommend using sftp instead. It is installed by default when you install ssh server. It works right out of the box. From Windows you can use several clients: WinSCP, Filezilla or fireFTP (Firefox plugin).

I hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Here is a step by step guide that may help. I worked thru most of that. I chose Webmin, Mdadm Raid5, Samba.

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/default.htm

Hope this helps.

Beans

Thanks for the replies very insightful I thought if you were using a Server platform the GUI was a no no and it is always best to go hardcore and do everything through the CLI I have avoided tools like Webmin in the past because I had this stupid mentality where I thought that if I was working in a professional environment it would be best to learn the harder way of doing things and not to take shortcuts.

I think I will install a GUI hell I may even just run the normal version of Ubuntu as my server platform is there a easy way of turning of Uinity and having a classic GUI such as Gnome 2 or a more lightweight based GUI.

When I do eventually manage to get the blog up and running I will remember to give a shout out to you guys because it is you who have inspired me and have given the motivation to get something working lol

The Blog will be geared for newcomers like myself to Ubuntu and will contain tutorials etc.

How long have you guys used Ubuntu Server? What were the first projects you worked on? What are some good tips to learn more about it?

Sorry about all the questions I am just interested in your experiences as I find it helps to motivate myself

Beans

I have been using 12.04 Server for 9 months or so. i have a private home lan setup. i run ftp, dns, mDNS, ldap, nfs, samba and who knows what else. It is not recommended to run a GUI on top it for 2 reasons: performance and security - that is why Canonical does not ship the server edition with a GUI. I do not have one on mine and have no desire to put one on but you do what you think would best fit your needs. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by ranger12; March 13th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't think the Ubuntu serverguide (pdf) was mentioned as a good reference. When the 13.04 serverguide is released, there will be a new "Worpress" sub-section under the "Lamp Applications" chapter.

I have used Ubuntu server edition for many years. I do not use any GUI.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Were you guys new to Linux or made the jump from Windows? I have plenty of documentation the problem I find is that although some of the books say they are geared at beginners it can be a nightmare.

The book I am reading at the moment practical guide to Linux command line by Mark Sorbell starts off ok and is pretty straight forward to follow but then it gets to the section on Bash Programming / writing scripts and I am lost he doesn't show you how to setup a basic script just jumps into flow control, if when and stuff which just goes over my head

What were some of the first things you did with Ubuntu Server to learn the system more? what did you setup first?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For beginning Bash, I would start here http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

Beans

Thank you for the guide to Bash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast