Thread: Dual Monitors w/ Nvidia card and nouveau driver

Beans

Dual Monitors w/ Nvidia card and nouveau driver

I'm trying to get dual monitors working in Lubuntu 12.10 on my G5 PowerMac. I'm using an Nvidia 6600 (rev a2) dual DVI graphics card. Going to Preferences -> Monitor Settings, I can see that both displays are recognized and enabled with the correct resolution and refresh rate. However, the 2nd display (the one to the right of the main display) is complete black. According to the xorg.conf file, the system is using the nouveau drivers.

I've tried using arandr, and it appears to extend the desktop (some of the panel items disappear in the upper right hand corner of the display), but the 2nd display remains black.

I've been all over the place and tried many things. I know it's good protocol to mention what these things are, but I'm hoping to start over at this point and perhaps run through some of them again in case I didn't do something right the first time. I have only recently made the switch to Lubuntu and it's been a pretty intense journey so far to get where I"m at now.

Anybody willing to try and tackle this one?

br0c0l1
    Last edited by br0c0l1; May 27th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Beans

Re: Dual Monitors w/ Nvidia card and nouveau driver

Well, this went unresolved.... However, I did purchased a flashed nVidia 7800 GTX card (512 MB) and installed that into my G5 PowerMac. I was able to easily set up dual monitor support using Arandr using the instructions on this page: http://www.lubuntutips.com/2012/05/d...n-lubuntu.html

After first installing the card, the two monitors appeared on top of each other in Arandr and as a result were in clone mode. I am definitely enjoying the dual monitor set up.

Thought it wouldn't hurt to share with others who may have ran into the same issue. Sorry I don't have an actual resolution to the problem above. Hope to see more people use Linux on PowerPC!

br0c0l1