Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd (dead space) bar along the right side of screen after installation

Beans

Re: Odd (dead space) bar along the right side of screen after installation

I restarted the computer and it reverted back to the orginal configuration with the full top menu visible. Attached photo...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    [    30.043] (II) intel(0): Allocated new frame buffer 1600x1200 stride 6656, tiled
    [    32.486] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-03AF3717FF3AB439A4BAABA686CCB40771CDF520.xkm
    [   710.765] (II) intel(0): Allocated new frame buffer 1728x1200 stride 7168, tiled
    I think your are trying to get a 1600x1200 resolution, isn't it?

Could you post the result of this command?
    Code:
    xvidtune -show
    Regards.

Beans

Hey papibe - I Googled for some info about the computer and Sony's official description (https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...specifications) says the supported resolution is 1680 × 1050, so 1600 × 1200 might be an overshot here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I see.

Let's try to get the EDID information:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install read-edid
    Then post the result of this command:
    Code:
    sudo get-edid | parse-edid
    Regards.

Beans

Thanks to everyone for the help, but I ended up using this computer for only Windows 7 rather than dual boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is just what I see on this.
    Code:
    [    28.610] (II) intel(0): Using fuzzy aspect match for initial modes
    [    28.610] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 using initial mode 1024x768
    [    28.610] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 using initial mode 1024x768

EDID seemed fine from "both" attached monitor devices in the xorg.0.log... but there was something there no-one saw. There is an intel GPU so it doesn't need an an Xorg.conf file by default to get xorg to use the intel driver. There is 2 monitors attached. There is no Xorg.conf file to tell it that the monitors are different- having different "aspect ratios" and the max res on one of the monitors is 1024x768.... so it is defaulting both displays to 1024x768. That mode in the widescreen typed aspect ratio on of the monitor pictured... set at 0,0 fills the screen as far as it can at that aspect ratio... from the upper left corner 1024 right and 768 down... ending up with the blank portion to the right.

He seems to be gone now. If the OP kept at it... Hint- Separate screens at different resolutions and aspect ratios. Set the aspect rations in the monitor section. Map the monitors & resolutions directly to the ports in the screen section.

This same thing happens from time to time on ATI and nVidia GPU's, when mixing normal and "wide" aspect monitors. You can see from the native resolutions that one he pictured was that format. But he didn't take a picture nor mention that there was another attached. It just shows up in the log.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12