Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Thanks zika.

I am now able to get htop to run stable.

The command is

Code:
    mir & htop
    When htop loads it has mir startx and then htop below it. It is a very simple code. It appears that mir is calling Xserver and then loading htop?

It takes up 100% of one side of a dual core. I am not trying to be a pain. Just trying different code. I studied Vax Unix in 1990 and did batch files in the 80's with DOS. But Linux and X I am just getting a handle on.

So .. when I run 'mir" which is an executable file and use the "&" character to run 'htop' on mir (I assume). No man pages for mir as of yet. However mir is calling 'startx'. So .. if you decide to try it you will see 'mir startx' at the top of htop and htop below it.

I'll get another pic.
    No. Mir can not call Xserver since it should be sort of its replacement. A fact that they appear in htop list is just a fact that these processes are running... Order is not relevant to You... You're having two concurrent processes... You do not need man pages for mir, man for bash should be enough...
    I thought that .xinitrc should be a sort of hint, with wayland/weston, etc...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    No. Mir can not call Xserver since it should be sort of its replacement. A fact that they appear in htop list is just a fact that these processes are running... Order is not relevant to You... You're having two concurrent processes... You do not need man pages for mir, man for bash should be enough...
    I thought that .xinitrc should be a sort of hint, with wayland/weston, etc...
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes it is a great hint.

I am then curious as to why startx would not run before, only when I put in mir in the command line.

I'll be doing some reading on this..
    thanks again..

Beans

I am not 100% sure but i do believe ATM you can't test much programs running natively on Mir. Just demos you tried. I am pretty sure everything else you are trying to test uses Xorg (on top of Mir).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I am not 100% sure but i do believe ATM you can't test much programs running natively on Mir. Just demos you tried. I am pretty sure everything else you are trying to test uses Xorg (on top of Mir).
    This has been my assumption pretty well, however , I had not clearly stated it. So I can further declare my assumption that , yes , Mir is working in raring as per one of my screen shots documenting mir running in htop, in whatever limited capacity it is.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks zika.

I am now able to get htop to run stable.

The command is

Code:
    mir & htop
    When htop loads it has mir startx and then htop below it. It is a very simple code. It appears that mir is calling Xserver and then loading htop?

It takes up 100% of one side of a dual core. I am not trying to be a pain. Just trying different code. I studied Vax Unix in 1990 and did batch files in the 80's with DOS. But Linux and X I am just getting a handle on.

So .. when I run 'mir" which is an executable file and use the "&" character to run 'htop' on mir (I assume). No man pages for mir as of yet. However mir is calling 'startx'. So .. if you decide to try it you will see 'mir startx' at the top of htop and htop below it.

I'll get another pic.

The above code will not work on Nividia G210/218 with nouveau.

Beans
    Distro

Tried the ppa, installed all the Mir stuff and alot of other junk, now I get a black screen and mouse pointer!
    AND in a tty I get a big long blinking cursor, very interesting..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The above code will not work on Nividia G210/218 with nouveau.
    Should it?
    Investigate proper usage of little we've got from PPA. It is just a beginning... It's just a feeble herald...
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    Tried the ppa, installed all the Mir stuff and alot of other junk, now I get a black screen and mouse pointer!
    AND in a tty I get a big long blinking cursor, very interesting..
    How do You "try" to "useˇ it? Instead of what?
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ventrical

I am running some of you experiments. And in my messing around a thought occurred to me. Midnight Commander and htop are text mode utilities. They will run in a tty anyway. How do we know that they are running on MIR? Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Should it?
    Investigate proper usage of little we've got from PPA. It is just a beginning... It's just a feeble herald...

It works with the original hacking file code.

(sleep 5; mir_demo_client_accelerated) & mir ; kill $!

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast